DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I just signed up for this forum about ten seconds ago so I don't know the ins and outs of this yet(using the android app) so sorry if I'm doing something wrong.

Anyways! I have a bathtub/shower combo and the ceiling is cracking and pretty much looks like rust along the edge of where the showers ceiling meets the outside wall. Please excuse the grossness of the surrounding area.

Now. What my question is, is what is the ceiling made of? Its chipping off like its plaster or something. I have very little knowledge of bathroom stuff so bare with me. How does one go about fixing it?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
37,371 Posts
Where the 90 deg corner is may be rust from someone using a steel outside corner instead of a plastic one ( someone did not cover it with paint)
The rest is mold.
Is there a vent in this bathroom? If there is, are you leaving it on long enough?
If not there's you problum.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
agree with joe moisture seem to be building in the room needa fan or need to leave existing one on longer or see if its even working....as far as wall and ceiling leave dry scrape prime and seal then good quality bath paint from sherwin williams..

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
may want to check to see if it s working properly ...does the mirror fog up when showering....maybe turn it on and hold a sheet a paper up and see if it pulls it up to it....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ben's plumbing said:
may want to check to see if it s working properly ...does the mirror fog up when showering....maybe turn it on and hold a sheet a paper up and see if it pulls it up to it....
It doesn't fog up or anything, if you really get steam going then you can watch it all be pulled right to the fan... I just did the paper test and it held it no problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ben's plumbing said:
agree with joe moisture seem to be building in the room needa fan or need to leave existing one on longer or see if its even working....as far as wall and ceiling leave dry scrape prime and seal then good quality bath paint from sherwin williams..
When you say scrape the ceiling, do you mean the entire shower part? Or just a strip off where the mold/rust is?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
After you sand the rust off, apply a rust preventative like Rustoleum's Rust reformer. Then prime and paint it.
I'd also tape the ceiling seams outside the shower. It looks as though someone just installed some sheet goods on the ceiling and left the seams open. It's a good place to allow moisture in.

Reactions: Bud Cline

·
Too Old
345 Posts
Just a thought but being the shower is a raised ceiling the fan is not pulling the moisture out of the ceiling area, you are getting a lot of condinsation on the ceiling. You will keep getting mold on the paint no matter what you do unless you get the steam out of that area. Can you put a vent or a fan in the ceiling? Maybe keep the shower curtain open with the fan on for little while after you shower?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
wouldn't hurt to check the vent exhaust too. every now and then you will find where someone just lets it blow into the attic space where it soaks the surrounding insulation and framing with condensation.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I can't put a vent in the shower, but I will leave the fan on afterward
There's no reason to put a vent in the shower area. The other poster was under the impression the shower ceiling was higher then the room ceiling.
Just let the fan run at least 10 minutes, maybe 15, depending on the fans draw out of the room.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ron6519 said:
There's no reason to put a vent in the shower area. The other poster was under the impression the shower ceiling was higher then the room ceiling.
Just let the fan run at least 10 minutes, maybe 15, depending on the fans draw out of the room.
Gotcha. Will do! And I will check the attic for sure

·
Too Old
345 Posts
It looks like (in the picture) the ceiling in the shower is higher then where the shower curtain is.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
It looks like (in the picture) the ceiling in the shower is higher then where the shower curtain is.
Why are you assuming the shower area is the one with the higher ceiling?

·
Too Old
345 Posts
I am sure I am wrong but to me it looks like the shower curtain at the bottom, then the hooks, a space about 3" to the corner of the soffit then about 1' of drywall to the ceiling corner. From how I see the picture that would be a dead space if the vent is outside the shower curtain so that will create moisture on the ceiling of the shower.

·
Too Old
345 Posts

Still looks to me like the moldy corner is higher and the rusty corner bead is above the curtain rod. Maybe it's not a soffit but a dropped ceiling outside of the curtain, maybe I am all screwed up on the way I see the picture. If I'm seeing it right the space above the curtain rod is raised from the other ceiling so a fan will not remove the moisture if it is outside the curtain.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts