DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please give me your opinions and why.

I would like to know which option is best and most waterproof.
Installation of a shower bench:

Is it best...

1. wood bench with pvc shower liner over it then tile ...or

2. pvc liner first then make a seat with bricks then tile.

Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
The trouble with a PVC liner under a bench----How are you going to nail in the tile backer board without punching holes in the liner?

Here's a thought---go ahead and use a liner---then add the backer---then use a surface water proofer lie Hydroban--or Red Guard-- or Aqua Defense ---then tile---

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[QUOTE="oh'mike, post: 1088831, member: 62681"]The trouble with a PVC liner under a bench----How are you goin

The trouble with a PVC liner under a bench----How are you going to nail in the tile backer board without punching holes in the liner?

Here's a thought---go ahead and use a liner---then add the backer---then use a surface water proofer lie Hydroban--or Red Guard-- or Aqua Defense ---then tile---

Thought it would be mudded in over the brick

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I think you may be over thinking this----typical membrane pan with seat has wood framing for seat--then a 3/4" plywood skin---Durrock over the skin--then a surface membrane over the Durrock

How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

Tile and grout are not water proof---something must be used to keep the water that gets through from entering the wood framework---brick and mortar are not waterproof either---nor is a membrane with nails or screw holes----

Tell us more about what you have in mind--also go to Latacrete's site and look at Hydroban---

1 - 5 of 5 Posts