DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to do some remodeling in the bathroom - toilet, floor tile, paint, etc. Looking at the shower base, it has stains that no matter what we do, they come back. There are also cracks which I cannot tell if they are surface or serious. Looking at Home Depot, I see I can buy a new base, but am not sure how to remove the old one, or have any idea how big a job this is. Also wondering if there is a way the surface can be refinished or are there products that would fit over this made of a lighter material.

Just trying to find out what my options are.

Thanks

IMG_0556.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure why you posted that video. Are you saying that to change the base, a new drain needs to be installed? if so, that becomes troublesome because there is a bathroom below this one that has a finished ceiling that would need to be cut into to accomplish that.

·
Naildriver
12,169 Posts
Without the video. Remove it all and start over with a new base and tile.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chandler.

I’m still a bit confused though. This appears to be something like concrete, so I take it it’s heavy. Would this be attached by by cement, glue, or something like caulk? I’m just wondering how to get it out.

·
Naildriver
12,169 Posts
It could be a more primitive, concrete base, and you may need to enlist the use of a SDS hammer to remove it, and figure what needs to be done below to accommodate a more modern base or packing one in.

·
retired framer
44,503 Posts
Not sure why you posted that video. Are you saying that to change the base, a new drain needs to be installed? if so, that becomes troublesome because there is a bathroom below this one that has a finished ceiling that would need to be cut into to accomplish that.
I posted that so you might see what you might have to go thur to disconnected the drain in yours.

The base in the video, you can see it was designed to be fully supported just sitting on the floor , yours may have been set in mortar to get that same support.

There will be screws around the edge behind the tile, once those are removed I would cut around the drain leaving it there while taking the rest out. Hopefully you can do all the new plumbing from above.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Based on the OP's photo, and the cracks across the pan, it doesn't look like a composite pan, it looks like a formed concrete/mortar pan. OP, get thee a big sledgehammer!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well this turned out to be a nastier undertaking than I imagined. In our planning we were going to leave the tile in the shower stall but per the above video, and others I've watched, it looks like the sides have to be clear to remove and install a new pan. Over all, this looks like a larger undertaking than I want to attempt. My next step is to contact a couple folks for estimates and probably have a shower stall kit installed. That way, they can deal with taking this out and replacing it.

Thanks for all the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts