DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shovel that is probably 40 years old and has worked wonders. I can tell though that it's about to retire. Any suggestions for a really good shovel that can take a beating and last years?

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Shovel can mean a lot of things.
Flat, spade, narrow, D handle, long shank.
Got tired of my employees braking the handles on my wooden handed shovels so I started buying fiberglass handles at ACE hardware with lifetime warrantys.

·
Home Repairer
234 Posts
I too would just replace the handle, have done it many times on shovels I have owned. Sometimes I also take the time to resharpen the edge of the shovel in the process so it cuts into the earth better. I also regularly sharpen my post hole digger so it works more efficiently.

·
Big Dog
3,762 Posts
A quality tool is often more economical to fix than buying a new one. If the blade is solid, I say fix it.

I have an ergonomic snow shovel which I love that is about 10-15 years old. The scoop is heavy plastic with a steel blade. When the rivets holding the blade wore down causing it to come off, I just re-riveted it back on and I was back in business.

I also have a post hole digger, square and round shovels. If I use any of them during the season, they get cleaned and painted with Rust-Oleum prior to being put away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.