DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Help what - attic temp? house temp?

IMO, it would help neither, at least to the extent that the cost and effort would be justified.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to reduce temp in house. I would do the install myself. Although I really think our issue is our a/c.. Tech stated it is a seer 10 model and texas needs higher rated model.

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
When you are trying to cool a 150° attic with 100° air coming in and the sun beating down don't expect it to be 80° up there. It will be hot during the day. Your hope is that ventilation will speed up the cooling after the sun goes down.

The best defense against the remaining heat in the attic is a well air sealed ceiling and a lot of insulation. If the attic floor (ceiling) was not air sealed it is stealing your cool air that must be replaced by the hot outside air from other leaks throughout the house.

Was the ceiling air sealed?

Bud

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it was sealed I would say it is not now. We have to have foundation repaired soon. Getting cracks all through the sheetrock.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Trying to reduce temp in house. I would do the install myself. Although I really think our issue is our a/c.. Tech stated it is a seer 10 model and texas needs higher rated model.
This makes no sense, SEER is the efficiency rating, but it sounds like you are saying your A/C doesn't have enough cooling capacity.

Find the capacity of your A/C from the plate on the outdoor unit, and give the guys here more info on your home like sqft etc, and they can take a shot at whether capacity could be your problem.

·
11,730 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts