DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is an aquatic center at a YMCA. Along one wall at one time there were semi-permanent bleachers which have now been removed. All other walls in the AC have GFCI outlets spaced about 12' apart except this one. The wall is >6' from the edge of the pool, so that is not a consideration.

Should there have been outlets along this wall even though when the AC was built (2006) there were bleachers in that location?

I am wondering because they are now having to run extension cords to power portable fans because the air circulation is so bad.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If there were bleachers on the prints, that would have likely negated the necessity of power in that wall.
I should have noted that the bleachers don't cover the entire length. There are about 20 feet on each end that never had bleachers.

Residential receptacle spacing does not apply in commercial applications.
But can they skip a wall completely?

·
Usually Confused
6,534 Posts
But can they skip a wall completely?
I don't know the commercial/institutional rules that would have been in place in your jurisdiction when it was built, but since you describe the bleachers as "semi permanent", I would assume they would have taken that into account in their approvals. I doubt removing something that is semi-permanent would trigger any grandfathering provisions.

I'm curious about your point. So long as they are using extension cords in an electrically safe and compliant for a wet environment and they are compliant with any public space health and safety rules (tripping hazards, etc.), what's the issue? Perhaps you should raise your concerns with the manager or Board.

·
Super Moderator
20,906 Posts
Might be a better idea to address the circulation issue instead of using fans.
Perhaps some permanently mounted fans on the wall high up out of the way.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Might be a better idea to address the circulation issue instead of using fans.
Perhaps some permanently mounted fans on the wall high up out of the way.
Indeed. Many in my area have asked similar questions. It's a matter of effort and time. It's usually a budget constraint issue.

What's the "poor circulation" issue anyways? Humidity? Too hot? Cold? Stuffy? Smelly?

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts