DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a reasonable quote from a certified firm. Reviews are good. Licensing and BBB all checks out.

The chimney is sandstone brick. They would be doing a rebuild from the roofline up.

There is a chance I might not be available to watch them work. Is this okay?

My schedule is totally unpredictable and the chimney needs to be fixed as we are heading into the wet season.

·
Banned
30,023 Posts
You hired a company that you vetted...right? Why would you think you would need to supervise them?

Have you seen examples of their work? Talked to past clients?
Its definitely not the "norm" for us, but some clients leave us a key under the mat and tell us to call them when we are done.

·
retired painter
11,570 Posts
Assuming you hired a competent company there shouldn't be any reason to supervise them. As a painting contractor I've had a few customers that watched my every move but the quality of the work on those jobs didn't differ any from the jobs where I never saw them.

It would be a good idea to give them your cell number or where you can be reached in case they run into any issues.

·
Registered
13,208 Posts
Worrying will give you those gray hairs. There is definitely a comfortable feeling knowing you have selected a good contractor, not a CL low bidder. Enjoy the benefits of your due diligence and relax and trust.

Bud

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
If you know how, why not do the job yourself.?

The money you save can buy the tools that can be sold when your done.

I read this a long time ago and I don't know the Authors name.

The person who knows how will always have a job
The person who knows why will always be their boss.

·
Registered
505 Posts
If this is a reputable firm then you should have confidence that they would rebuild it at their own expense if it is done wrong.
We're talking about a few feet of brick work. Any flaws should be easy to see.
So, you inspect as soon as you get back. If they screwed it up, call and have a supervisor come out to assess.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Thanks all. I can relax and have peace of mind and less gray hair now.
Hold on there Ke-mo sah-bee..... :vs_cool:

Did you personally go look at their work at a recently completed job?

Did you ask them if they have a permanent crew and find out if that same crew will do the work at your home?

Regardless: I'd watch and help them, and I would tell them up front I would be watching and helping them.

That way everybody knows, up front, what to expect.

I live by the mantra of "Trust But Verify"

Also, don't rely on permits and jurisdictional inspectors to ensure quality either. The inspector here that approved the framing of my barn never even got out a ladder and inspected anything.

If I hadn't been on site everyday when my "Lester Building" pole barn was being built it would have been a mess. The only experienced guy was the contractor himself. He hired a couple out of work millenials that had no experience at all.... the one guy didn't even have any tools... not even a hammer. And that's from a "nationally known" barn manufacturer.

Be Careful Out There.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts