DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a house built in 1960 with a partial brick facade - the rest is cedar paneling.

The house across the street was built by the same builder in the same year and is a mirror image to mine.

Their brick looks very clean and like new however mine looks old and dirty.

So I'm wondering how to make my brick look better and considering power washing.

Before I do I want to be sure that I won't ruin the brick/mortar by doing so.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Marc

·
Registered
31 Posts
You should be fine. Just don't get too close or use a tip that is too concentrated. Standard fan tip should work. Back off if you see pieces of mortar flying off. I'd also do it in the morning with a couple of dry days ahead just to maximize drying potential in case some water gets into the wall assembly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Look at the mortar first and touch it. If it looks solid and doesn't crumble to the touch you should be fine. If it crumbles and falls out when you touch it or it is disintegrated or missing in some areas, power washing will probably take it right out of the joints.

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,794 Posts
You should be fine. Just don't get too close or use a tip that is too concentrated. Standard fan tip should work. Back off if you see pieces of mortar flying off. I'd also do it in the morning with a couple of dry days ahead just to maximize drying potential in case some water gets into the wall assembly.
This would be my major concern with power washing as well. Brick veneer is anything BUT waterproof, driving the moisture into the brick in hot weather can easily result in that same water turning to vapor as the hot sun hits it, and ultimately driving it into the cavity behind the wall. Without a decent air space and weep system (fairly unlikely for that era home) it has a good chance of saturating the wood sheating if there's no decent WRB in place behind the brick......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts