DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
I was going to in 2019. Without excavating a lot of material that is a good base there was no way to keep water from flowing into my barn (don’t want a trench drain). Also I frequently have trailers or heavy trucks parked. The paving guy was honest and recommended that I keep gravel. I get 20 tons of #1 stone about every 5 years and it looks good. Blacktop is not maintenance free.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
concrete, asphalt, paver or ?

DIY or contract out?

what other conditions?

Why are you thinking of doing it? What are you trying to correct?

Reactions: de-nagorg

·
retired painter
13,671 Posts
I get 20 tons of #1 stone about every 5 years and it looks good. Blacktop is not maintenance free.

Wish I could get by with that, it takes 50 ton to do mine right.

There are many things to consider on whether or not to pave a driveway. Assuming there isn't extreme heat that would make the asphalt soft, it can be made to withstand truck traffic. It would need a better base than driveways typically get. Concrete is tougher than asphalt but the snow will melt off of asphalt quicker. A paved driveway is cleaner than a gravel driveway.

I wouldn't pave my driveway for 2 reasons; the high cost and it would scare me to try and go down a mountain driveway in icy conditions. The gravel gives me more grip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.