DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Boring stuff like hanging sheetrock and reglazing windows
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if that's overkill, but I feel like it's too late to prune these monsters. Like, I can't even see my house!

·
Big Dog
3,050 Posts
I suggest you consult with an arborist. They can advise on the best way to trim the trees or recommend if they should be moved or removed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Slow and careful pruning will get you the result you want. But it can't done in one operation or one season. Cut too much off and you'll kill the bush or tree. And cutting to achieve a good looking tree will require some expertise.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
And the third tree in the background sure looks extremely close to your foundation. You got a basement ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And the third tree in the background sure looks extremely close to your foundation. You got a basement ?
No basement, but that pesky pecan tree has been nothing but problems and I am definitely destroying it. That thing attracts pests, invades my plumbing system and hangs over my roof. I can't wait until it's gone! It's less than a foot away from my exterior wall

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I took out two trees when I bought this house and a third one a couple years later which were all planted just way too close to the house. You have at least two I would consider to be that way at yours as well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
No basement, but that pesky pecan tree has been nothing but problems and I am definitely destroying it. That thing attracts pests, invades my plumbing system and hangs over my roof. I can't wait until it's gone! It's less than a foot away from my exterior wall
Now that we know how you really feel.... start 'er up!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those look like Arborvitae trees which are really difficult to kill. Borderline not killable without chopping it down. Even that, they can grow back.

Pecan Tree 1 - Or what ever type that is. WOW it's way too close to the house. Cut it down.

Evergreen Tree 2 - Trim the bottom up so you can see under the tree. Thin out the tree a little as well.

Evergreen Tree 3 - Cut it down so you can clear up that window and give space for Tree 2 and Tree 4.

Evergreen Tree 4 - Same, trim up the bottom as much as possible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those look like Arborvitae trees which are really difficult to kill. Borderline not killable without chopping it down. Even that, they can grow back.

Pecan Tree 1 - Or what ever type that is. WOW it's way too close to the house. Cut it down.

Evergreen Tree 2 - Trim the bottom up so you can see under the tree. Thin out the tree a little as well.

Evergreen Tree 3 - Cut it down so you can clear up that window and give space for Tree 2 and Tree 4.

Okay! I was told by my landscaper that those are specifically called "oneseed junipers" and told me their beneficial because they repel most pests. I thought that was cool, but I didn't know weather it was feasible to trim them. When I asked him, he just kept saying it was up to me so I figured he was trying to spare my feelings instead of telling me that they're ugly

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Okay! I was told by my landscaper that those are specifically called "oneseed junipers" and told me their beneficial because they repel most pests. I thought that was cool, but I didn't know weather it was feasible to trim them. When I asked him, he just kept saying it was up to me so I figured he was trying to spare my feelings
I took out two trees when I bought this house and a third one a couple years later which were all planted just way too close to the house. You have at least two I would consider to be that way at yours as well.
Omg yes look at what it was when I first got here

·
Registered
72 Posts
Okay! I was told by my landscaper that those are specifically called "oneseed junipers" and told me their beneficial because they repel most pests. I thought that was cool, but I didn't know weather it was feasible to trim them. When I asked him, he just kept saying it was up to me so I figured he was trying to spare my feelings instead of telling me that they're ugly
Im not sure if that is a "oneseed"... do the tips look like this?

it looks closer to a standard arborvitae... not sure if its "American arborvitae".

In any case these are huge and overgrown compared to where they are planted. Someone gave up on pruning a long time before you bought the house. If it were me, I'd pull them out and replant with something else.

If you want to wait till the fall to replant, I think the advice you are getting above is good. Prune, but not too much.

There is a common misunderstanding when to prune, you can prune anytime, however how much makes a big difference. on this, I'd do any heavy pruning late winter when it starts to wake up. Right now, I think you can drop the lower branches so they both resemble the far right and get more light into the house...

good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im not sure if that is a "oneseed"... do the tips look like this?
View attachment 651177

it looks closer to a standard arborvitae... not sure if its "American arborvitae".

In any case these are huge and overgrown compared to where they are planted. Someone gave up on pruning a long time before you bought the house. If it were me, I'd pull them out and replant with something else.

If you want to wait till the fall to replant, I think the advice you are getting above is good. Prune, but not too much.

There is a common misunderstanding when to prune, you can prune anytime, however how much makes a big difference. on this, I'd do any heavy pruning late winter when it starts to wake up. Right now, I think you can drop the lower branches so they both resemble the far right and get more light into the house...

good luck!
No, the tips are much rounder. Although they do have a very similar berry thing that grows on it sometimes. I'll bet you're right, I don't know the first thing about plants but all I know is my grandparents owned this house (it was custom built for them) and they did not do any type of maintenance to the plants and allowed them to grow wild all around the house. So that overgrown bush is definitely going to be desolated, thank you for identifying and advice!

·
Registered
142 Posts
The trees are beautiful and healthy. The trees probably want your house to be torn down so that they can spread their branches even further :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The trees are beautiful and healthy. The trees probably want your house to be torn down so that they can spread their branches even further :)
LOL! The ones in the backyard aren't doing so well, a lot of them have a thick white fungus all over them 😭

·
Registered
72 Posts
unfortunately, the "trees" are actually shrubs. they have a mounding growth habit. they are supposed to have the form of a big green cones, right now they kind of have the form of... (or broccoli rabe)

from an aesthetics standpoint, its all if you like it... If you do like it, then rock on!!!
It looks fine, I'll bet those are well over 30 years old, just be prepared to eventually replace the shrubs for something else...

If you are keeping them, lopping off the lower branches would help you see your nice house from the street!
:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ha yeah you had me at Invades my plumbing system. Kill em all and let God sort it out

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
unfortunately, the "trees" are actually shrubs. they have a mounding growth habit. they are supposed to have the form of a big green cones, right now they kind of have the form of... (or broccoli rabe)
View attachment 651270 View attachment 651269

from an aesthetics standpoint, its all if you like it... If you do like it, then rock on!!!
It looks fine, I'll bet those are well over 30 years old, just be prepared to eventually replace the shrubs for something else...

If you are keeping them, lopping off the lower branches would help you see your nice house from the street!
:)
Oh my goodness 🤣 it does look like broccoli

1 - 20 of 23 Posts