DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing a ceiling fixture and idiotically to turn the power off. While the wires were live,the black and white wire touched the fixture mounting bracket and there was a loud spark. After turning the power off and installing the light correctly and turning the power back on, the light will not work. Are there any solutions?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I have not checked. If there is power there and none at the housing, would the wire from switch to the housing need to be replaced?
If you find power there, my next step would be to rule out the switch. Turn off the breaker. Remove the conductors from the switch and connect them. Turn the breaker back on and see if your light works. If it doesn't check the light box to see if any of the conductors have power.

What are you using to check for power?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
First check the box that the light switch is in to see if there is power there.

Next step would be to rule out the switch. Turn off the breaker. Remove the conductors from the switch and connect them. Turn the breaker back on and see if your light works. If it doesn't check the light box to see if any of the conductors have power.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Michael19g said:
Yes the breaker connects to a light switch that connects to the light housing.
Take the wires off the switch and wirenut them together then turn breaker back on and see if it comes on. Also with the switch disconnected put your meter in continuity mode, put probes on switch screws, flip switch, if it is good you will have continuity

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Is there a dimmer for these lights? If so it is probably fried.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.