DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
A few days ago I helped a friend take down a single wall in his home. It is a 1940’s home. We wore N95 masks and demolished a wall. Lots of dust and debris everywhere. The wall was made of old plaster and had weird insulation bits in it. The actual demo took about 30 minutes, but we were in the house for about 3 hours after that.
I am worried about possible asbestos exposure. Is that considered long term exposure? Have I just given myself cancer? I feel so bad that I agreed to help.
I have never done anything like that before. There were 2 other people there as well that didn't seem to give it a second thought.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
retired framer
51,233 Posts
Hello,
A few days ago I helped a friend take down a single wall in his home. It is a 1940’s home. We wore N95 masks and demolished a wall. Lots of dust and debris everywhere. The wall was made of old plaster and had weird insulation bits in it. The actual demo took about 30 minutes, but we were in the house for about 3 hours after that.
I am worried about possible asbestos exposure. Is that considered long term exposure? Have I just given myself cancer? I feel so bad that I agreed to help.
I have never done anything like that before. There were 2 other people there as well that didn't seem to give it a second thought.

Thank you
The people you hear about worked in the actual asbestos dust for years and it took years to show up as a problem.
You don't know that it was asbestos and you were wearing a mask, I have done a lot worse to no effect. I would not lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
appliances
2,331 Posts
"Short-term asbestos exposure involves incidents that last less than a few days. Certain extreme events, such as the toxic exposure caused by the 9/11 attacks, can lead to a high risk of illness later in life. But in general, the health risk from short-term asbestos exposure is low."

There must be a list of causes of death somewhere for your area & this is probably not in the top ten of maybe even not in the top 100.
Your Dept. of Vital Statistics can help, if they will. Your tax dollars at work! They owe you these numbers.

In my opinion, if you're young you maybe can fight off the effects & if you're old some other thing will kill you.

Once for a co-worker who smoked I looked up the chance of dying from lung cancer.
The peak risk age was 45. At 16 nobody died because they haven’t smoked long enough & at 90 you would have already died from it.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,462 Posts
"Short-term asbestos exposure involves incidents that last less than a few days. Certain extreme events, such as the toxic exposure caused by the 9/11 attacks, can lead to a high risk of illness later in life. But in general, the health risk from short-term asbestos exposure is low."

There must be a list of causes of death somewhere for your area & this is probably not in the top ten of maybe even not in the top 100.
Your Dept. of Vital Statistics can help, if they will. Your tax dollars at work! They owe you these numbers.

In my opinion, if you're young you maybe can fight off the effects & if you're old some other thing will kill you.

Once for a co-worker who smoked I looked up the chance of dying from lung cancer.
The peak risk age was 45. At 16 nobody died because they haven’t smoked long enough & at 90 you would have already died from it.
Quatch....Good dose of hard truth

Not trying to be a fatalist...but french fries may get ya first

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hello,

Thank you
Did it look like this? Pretty common insulation used in walls in the early 20th. It's vermiculite, not asbestos. And BTW, asbestos is harmful if inhaled so if you wore the mask you should be fine.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,900 Posts
I can’t count how many times I was exposed to asbestos before I knew it was dangerous. As a painter, I often painted asbestos clad homes and when the paint failed on them, we scraped the loose stuff and released fibers into the air, a lot of fibers! I’m sure some got into my lungs but I’m still working and have not had (at age 60) any lung related health issues.

Reactions: mark sr

·
Registered
appliances
2,331 Posts
have not had (at age 60) any lung related health issues.
"The latency period for cancer is defined as the amount of time that elapses between the initial exposure to a carcinogen (cancer-causing substance) and the diagnosis of cancer."

You're OK, but I won't tell you how long you are expected to live unless you ask me. :D

My choice is whether I will die violently or non-violently & right now it's 50-50.
I have little to lose, so the other day I faced down some guy who told me he was going "PHUQUE ME UP!!!" He didn't, but I did get his license plate number.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did it look like this? Pretty common insulation used in walls in the early 20th. It's vermiculite, not asbestos. And BTW, asbestos is harmful if inhaled so if you wore the mask you should be fine.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk
It did. But I heard that this stuff does contain asbestos and it is really bad stuff?

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Don’t worry about it. If anything, it was short term, you had a mask on, and it can’t be undone.

Reactions: Gymschu

·
Registered
552 Posts
That is vermiculite and it may contain asbestos. Keep in mind the saying in toxicology "the dose makes the poison" meaning that small exposures to harmful products present small risks. If you are really worried, you should talk to your doctor, who can explain things in more detail and on a more personal level than posters in a chat room.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. I’m just anxious and worried that I have endangered myself really for no reason. I understand short term means lesser risk to an extent, however it is still worrisome for me.

·
Super Moderator
12,631 Posts

·
Registered
For pleasure Woodworking and Furniture Building
37 Posts
Hello,

Thank you
You should be fine, wore masks and limited exposure. A lot of plaster done prior to the 60's had asbestos in small amounts.

1) If your friend suspects asbestos, he/she should get it sampled and tested so they know what they are dealing with in the future work.
2) If it was asbestos, that dust is now everywhere in the house and needs to get cleaned up to help eliminate longer term exposure to the people that are going to live there.

·
Registered
For pleasure Woodworking and Furniture Building
37 Posts
There are many test kits available. Here's one for under $30.
Most cities have labs that specialize in lead, mold and asbestos testing. The last time I dropped off a sample, they looked at it right away I just needed a yes or no, didn't need a report or not percentages of ACM's) ) it took them 10 minutes and charged me $25.00

1 - 16 of 16 Posts