DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am intending to build a short retaining wall, only 12" high, the height of one large cinder block. It will be close to the foundation with 12" of space between the back of the cinder block and the foundation wall.

My questions are this:

1) Do I need to account for drainage with a pipe, given the height of the wall and the distance from the foundation?

2) What should I use for a backfill, given the short distance from the foundation? I have a lot of river rock. Can I just use that, or should I fill most of the way with crushed gravel first?

·
retired framer
53,978 Posts
Drainage is a good idea but you will need a perforated pipe to collect water and move it somewhere away from the house. Do you have exposed foundation higher than the new wall?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've attached a picture of the section I am trying to renovate (sorry for the rotation). I want to put in a retainer so that the top is where it is now, and drop the level where the path is so it is level.

·
retired framer
53,978 Posts
If you have exposed concrete at the bottom of the wall now and you have no water problems no, I don't see much of a problem even with out extra drainage. But any drainage from around the house is a plus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts