DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given an 8 gallon shop vac for free, and it works great,

I removed the top to empty it, and saw the filter was very dirty so i purchased a new one,

While looking for the filter on amazon i noticed there were also bags available for my shop vac,

I didn't know this, i was just using it without a bag....Lol, i have never used one before, and mine didnt come with a bag,

So do i need to buy a new bag for it in addition to the filter?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
If it has a pleated filter, you don't have to use a bag. Using the disposable bags means you don't have to clean the filter, which can be messy (and dangerous, depending on what you're vacuuming up), so some people like the convenience and cleanliness of using the bags.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it has a pleated filter, you don't have to use a bag. Using the disposable bags means you don't have to clean the filter, which can be messy (and dangerous, depending on what you're vacuuming up), so some people like the convenience and cleanliness of using the bags.
thanks, it does have a pleated round filter

·
Naildriver
14,840 Posts
I just bought a 4 gallon Ridgid that will fit in my job box. It came with the canister filter as well as a bag. When cleaning after a drywall day, my canister filter is trashed. I think it is great idea to have the bag and save the $17 filter.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here's a trick I learned from somewhere long ago... maybe even from here.

The bags for these things are expensive. Get some bags. Take the one you're going to install in the machine and cut one end off. Use sharp knife or scissors for a clean cut. Fold over the end and few times and then secure with a couple of medium size binder clips. When it fills up, just pull the clips out, empty it into the trash, and put it back together and re-install.

Eventually, the seal on the front attachment part will get torn or sloppy at which point you have to replace the bag. I've found I get anywhere from 5 - 10 fill ups before this happens. These things cost something like $5 - $10 per bag. So this little trick can save as much as $100 just with bag re-use.

There are some other times I'll just toss the bag though. Like if there's a lot of hazardous stuff in there; glass, whatever. Or something just nasty that should go right to trash. Otherwise, works great and saves a lot of $$$.

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
Eventually, the seal on the front attachment part will get torn or sloppy at which point you have to replace the bag. I've found I get anywhere from 5 - 10 fill ups before this happens. These things cost something like $5 - $10 per bag. So this little trick can save as much as $100 just with bag re-use.

There are some other times I'll just toss the bag though. Like if there's a lot of hazardous stuff in there; glass, whatever. Or something just nasty that should go right to trash. Otherwise, works great and saves a lot of $$$.
I just do it the hard way --- I dump it out the inlet. Yep, the hole is only about 2", so it doesn't like coming out easily, but it does. But I am cheap too.

I use my shop vac as my dust collector, so contents is almost totally sawdust. But yeah, if I use it to pick up nasty stuff, I just throw away the bag.

I just got a Dust Deputy cyclone separator. ( Had to --- I bought a jointer and the jointer will fill a vacuum bag or Dust Deputy pail in a few minutes.) The Dust Deputy works great. Almost everything goes into the plastic pail.

·
Naildriver
14,840 Posts
After our recent bathroom demo, I used the Ridgid for the first time with the bag and canister filter. It performed for the entire demo flawlessly. What I liked was the inside of the vac was CLEAN. We were able to switch from dry to wet to purge the toilet, then back to dry in a breeze. I pulled the paper filter to dispose of it and it was full. Felt like a well used diaper. But the expensive canister filter was untouched, sort of like a back up.

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
I keep a bag in mine. I started after I started using it to clean up drywall dust while finishing my basement. I buy them on amazon. Much cheaper than the big box stores. It never occurred to me to cut and reseal the end of the bag, I may try that, thanks @Scottg .

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have six of the vacs in various buildings and something new I learned last year .......... the pleated filters are easily washable and come out in terrific condition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts