DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just finished putting up new dry wall, primed and painted the walls. i'm getting shiney and dull areas on wall. roller is med. fuzzy, not foam or really long fibers. i'm using valspar semi gloss, $75.00 a gallon. i wiped down walls before priming. what am i doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Wow, paying $75 for Valspar, unbelievable. Sounds like you're not putting enough paint on the walls. Load that roller up! When you pull it up out of the paint tray it should almost, I say almost, be dripping off the roller. 3/8 inch nap is best for Semi Gloss paint.

Reactions: binxme8

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you are using a PVA primer under a semi-gloss, it may cause some flat spots, as PVA is a low-solids primer. This results in poor holdout- non-uniform sheen for the top coat. Generally, an extra topcoat will help with this problem.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Where are you getting gouged that badly on the Valspar? I'm not a hater, but when I buy their premium interior paint I pay $45 unless I have a rebate :thumbup:

*edit* Canadian dollars... maybe?

·
2,392 Posts
If you are using a PVA primer under a semi-gloss, it may cause some flat spots, as PVA is a low-solids primer. This results in poor holdout- non-uniform sheen for the top coat. Generally, an extra topcoat will help with this problem.
I agree with Will, the primer when topcoating with semi is important. You should use a primer/sealer under a sheen finish. A flat straight primer will absorb sheen from the topcoat. You need primer with enamel holdout. I'm not as confident though that a third coat will give you a uniform appearance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts