DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF, Is it me or has the price doubled on a bundle. I payed 17.00 a bundle for the OC architecual shingles last fall, I haven't priced them since then but what the hell is going on, I'm getting prices from 28 dollars to 32 dollars a bundle. Is there something going on or is it a bad time of season to buy shingles.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
not sure there, but here's a trick. call around to building suppliers and ask them about the 'discontinued bundles they keep in that shed out back'.... i get all my shingles this way for the smaller jobs i do here. and the best part is i usually pay around $2 to $5 a bundle!! i've seen them have 30 and 40 bundles of the same type before too, so you may luck out and find enough for a whole house roof! the managers are usually happy to see them go too!!!!!
*happy hunting*

DM

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
3 years ago, the cheap ones were $28.00 per square and now start off around $78.00 per square.

It sucks.

Roofing no longer is a job to do without saving for it first, substantially.

Ed

·
Registered
158 Posts
WTF, Is it me or has the price doubled on a bundle. I payed 17.00 a bundle for the OC architecual shingles last fall, I haven't priced them since then but what the hell is going on, I'm getting prices from 28 dollars to 32 dollars a bundle. Is there something going on or is it a bad time of season to buy shingles.

This happened last spring / summer, '08 when the barell of oil doubled, from 70- 140+$ us, at least here in canada, most shingles bundles doubled in price.

I know they did go down 10-15% .... but not sure of current pricing...
since the oil went up, the shingles went up... that is teh reason i've had from my supplier.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This happened last spring / summer, '08 when the barell of oil doubled, from 70- 140+$ us, at least here in canada, most shingles bundles doubled in price.

I know they did go down 10-15% .... but not sure of current pricing...
since the oil went up, the shingles went up... that is teh reason i've had from my supplier.

I could the see the fuel prices effecting the price, But at the pump it's $ 1.77 as of tonight. Unless there getting rid of the old stock from pre winter when the gas prices were higher. Maybe I'll wait a couple of months before I start up, there might be some sales coming up at the Big Box stores.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did that once and got beat, The HO said they had a line on some shingles and that they would only be interested in my labor, I said fine, When I went to finalize with them they already had the shingles sitting on a pallet in the driveway.I don't have a shingle ladder, so I told them the price is gonna change due to the fact that the shingles were not roof top delivered. Long story short we had words and I walked off before they signed off. If they want to get there own shingles fine but next time I will make it clearer as far as when and where they get delivered. Unless you have a power ladder it won't effect you.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Yeah price is really increasing sharply. To maintain this I have bought few products which are used too often so that I can beat the some price at least. (spam removed)
you'd think that if you came here to spam us with a link to a site from the UK, you'd at LEAST speak ENGLISH!!! sheesh.... bugger off, mate.

DM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.