DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Planning a 12'x16' shed/hobby building with a slanted simple shed roof. Drops 2' over 12'. 6" overhang on all sides for a roof deck dimension of 13'x17'. Plywood roof deck--5/8" or whatever the standard thickness close to that is. Likely will be 2x8 rafters on 16" centers.

In Oklahoma. Sometimes we get a lot of rain. On rare occasions we get 6-8" snow. Sometimes ice. Located in fairly shady part of back yard.

Getting lots of opinions of what kind of roof. Wanted metal but I think the slope is too low. 90# rolled roofing with granules seems easy but I'm told that won't last long. Not too familiar with peel and stick or torch down.

More than willing to hire this out--just wondering what would be the best approach. There will be electronic gear in this shed so I don't want water also.

Thanks

Eric

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dave.

Does the ice and water shield nail down? Is there a problem nailing the shingles through it?

Curious as to what you did with your shed extension. Looks like a little more pitch than what I'm planning.

Eric

· Banned
17,249 Posts
Ice & water shield has a VERY sticky backing
It basically seals the roof when applied correctly
On my shed - low slope - I used tar paper & 3 tab asphalt shingles
No leaks in 4 years
But its a pool cabana
I have an old stereo out there
But not any high end electronics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.