DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one use prebuilt shed that has garage door for vehicle storage?
Not only storage but able to work on car as well.
What kind of foundation are using?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
How permanent of a structure do you want?
Will it be free standing?
Do you want power to it?

I bought a 10 x 20 aluminum framed structure with poly/canvas roof and sides. It has roll up windows, with mesh screens. Roll up and zippered doors at both ends. I got it from Costco for ~$250.

I use it mostly to store the snowmobiles on the trailer. And, to work on the cars and trucks as I have no shade here in Colorado. And the sun is damn hot.

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
You need to talk to your building dept and see how they rule on it.

My guess is they will call it a detached garage and require that it meet the same requirements that a stick built, kit built, or modular garage would have to meet.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You need to talk to your building dept and see how they rule on it.

My guess is they will call it a detached garage and require that it meet the same requirements that a stick built, kit built, or modular garage would have to meet.
That's great advice.

Our jurisdiction has no requirements in regard to buildings that do not attach to a fixed foundation, other than set-back spec's.

So here the OP could build, or have built, a shed built with an adequate floor and have no restrictions.

If he:
  • removed the topsoil,
  • added the correct type of crushed aggregate
  • compacted the aggregate,
  • ensured the proper elevation so the drainage doesn't allow the the aggregate to get wet in the future
the building would have a "rock solid" foundation.​

Then the floor of the building would be built kind of like the wooden floor on a trailer, pressure treated 2x6's or 2x8's.

A vapor barrier between the aggregate and the wooden floor is also a good idea.

Be careful when selecting the pressure treated materials and ensure they are for ground contact.

Sounds like a neat project!

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to our planning and zoning.
Guidlines for location. 2feet side. 5 feet from back of property. 6 feet start at back of house.
Put in request for permit with lay out and rough measurments.
Foundation required is what ever engineer of building requires.
Utlity easment. 30 inches from service drop.
No drainage easements.

I understand how the requirments work more or less looking if anyone has used garage sheds for a garage.

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
You said you may be working on the vehicle in the garage.
What type of work?
If it envolves jacking the car, use of jack stands, engine hoists, etc you probably don’t want a gravel floor. Laying on gravel is uncomfortable, and creepers don’t work well.

IMO, concrete is the best floor for a garage.

Someone mentioned wood floors. I don’t like them. Seen a number of old garages with wood floors burn, especially when the wood has been contaminated over the years with gas/oil drips/spills. Some jurisdictions won’t approve any type of combustible garage floors.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Portable sheds need to have a built in floor, it holds building together and square during transportation, it's kinda what makes the building portable. While it might have a vehicle sized door I'd be surprised if you could even order a pre-built shed with a floor that would even handle the weight of a vehicle.

Most are built with only 4x4 or 4x6 runners a couple feet apart and 3/4 plywood floor directly attached to the runners. They are usually set up on blocks or sometimes placed directly on a gravel base and usually don't get much in the way of piers or foundation for real support. If you're using it as a garage where the vehicle may be driven in and out in wet conditions a wood floor will never hold up.

A gravel floor or concrete slab will probably limit you to having the garage built on site rather than delivered in one piece.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never thought about wood floor rotting out.
Honestly trying to cut cost. And possibly take the building with me if i sale property.
Concrete slab and having metal building installed more expensive and permanent.
All ready have so much tied up in property just to get into the neighborhood. Afraid will only get 50 cents on dollar on resale just on the building.

·
Registered
886 Posts
It's a Good - Better - Best kind of thing.

Never thought about wood floor rotting out.
The floor won't rot if it's made from the correct materials. Pole barns have their wooden support columns buried in the ground. The key is the correct amount of CCA, as I stated above.

What you're looking for is available. https://www.cumberlandbuildings.com/garage

Is it "Best"? Well it gets you where you want to be. And in the future if you want a bigger building you can sell it and up grade.

Any reason why you can't work on your car in the attached garage, and just use the new garage for storage?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the responses.
Yes one bay in my garage i could pull a hot rod in and out. Currently do this.
As my 5 and 1 year old get older there toys get bigger and eating my garage space. Quads and side by side.
Looking at different options.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Building or rebuilding a garage.

Why not put in a pit

How much do Permits cost for building?
The national average cost of a building permit is $1,061, with most homeowners spending between $435 and $1,812. This data is based on actual project costs according to HomeAdvisor members. Depending on the area, they may be required for additions, renovations and even electrical or plumbing projects.

How much does it cost to build a 24x24 garage?
How Much Does Building a Garage Cost? Typical costs: Having a contractor build a standard garage typically runs about $35-$45 a square foot. A small, single-car garage is about 240 square feet, or $8,400-$10,800; for a two-car structure it's around 380 square feet, or $13,300-$17,100.

Cheaper if you do the work.

Maybe add an office, bathroom, etc..

Pole barns are getting cheaper and cheaper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts