DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old shed made of wood frame, corrugated metal walls, OSB/shingle roof sitting on patio stones with plywood floor. It is falling apart so i want to replace it. I purchased this shed
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-Newport-8-ft-x-6-ft-Steel-Shed-NP8667/100119313

But i am not sure how to anchor it to the earth, would tapconning it to the 18x18 patio stones be enough, (i am very skeptical) or how should i anchor it securely but very cost effectively?

Concrete pads and sonotubes are a bit out of my equipment and price range

TIA

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Where are you? Is wind a concern?
If not you might do this: Concrete blocks half buried, fill with concrete
embed a length of 1/2" galvanized threaded rod in each
span blocks with 2x pressure treated
with narrow face up
shim to level, L/R & front/back
counter-sink nuts
with lock washers to bolt down
assemble shed on 2x
attach with deck screws into 2x.
If the shed is delivered assembled roll it on to 2x with schedule 40 PVC or galvanized pipe lengths.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Hi Quinn,
Along with Chucks suggestion, I would check local authorities to be sure you meet their requirements. In my area it varies by town. That is a light shed so wind is definitely a concern.

Does the shed mfg provide any attachment points or make other recommendations?

Bud

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Any shortcuts you take with an inexpensive shed like that is going to come back and bite you on the butt.
The biggest issues are trying to keep those door tracks level and flat, getting the sides of the shed up off of grade so they do not rust out, and keeping water from getting in under the walls.
At a bare minimum I'd be building a platform (same as building a deck) sitting on Deck Blocks that are sitting on top of foundation blocks (12 X 12 X 4" thick) that the top soil has been removed where there sitting.
Make sure the platform does not extend out beyond the walls of the shed or the floor will rot out and water will come in under the walls.
I've torn down and hauled way many of those less expencive sheds because of rusting out and they could not keep the doors on the tracks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wind is a concern, and the shed comes with a floor frame kit, which seems to be designed to have plywood screwed on top of it.
I'm having trouble visualizing some of the suggestions given, though i have heard of ground anchor screws which may be helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.