DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put laminate in a bedroom & cannot afford to spend a lot. I'm replacing 14 year old carpeting so almost anything will be an improvement.

I also want a product that meets California CARB phase 2 & doesn't offgas formaldehyde. The NALFA website lists the manufacturers that meet their certification (which includes CARB phase 2); Shaw is one of them.

I'm looking at this
http://shawfloors.com/laminate-flooringDetails/Naturl_Vls_II__SL255-Mellow_Oak

Anyone have any nightmare stories to warn me off this product?

I've gone around to the various stores in my area & this is the best deal on anything that meets CARB phase 2 standards & in a color/style I like.
It's cheap at Great Floors. It has an AC 2 rating & holds up pretty well to being scraped with a key, although I wish it were AC 3 (but it's for a bedroom). It's a smooth laminate. I don't particularly like the laminates with bevels on the edges of the panels - all I can think of is all the dirt they're going to trap.

I was going to use the QuietWalk underlayment as that also meets NALFA certification requirements (this is going to jack up by per sq ft costs a bit).

I have laminate in an entry way & in a kitchen; both were here when I bought the house. The stuff in the entry way is probably fairly high quality; the stuff in the kitchen I think is cheaper. Both are holding up well.

Of course, I'll be investing in the little felt things to put under all the furniture to prevent scratches.

·
Doer of Many Things
1,208 Posts
We sell a ton of this product for rental properties. We've never had any issues with it. It's a decent 7mm product. Shaw also distributes a pad called Selitac. It has very good sound dampening properties and a good price.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts