DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we had our stone done on the fireplace, we did not have kids, and clearly were not thinking about kids.

Our stone is sharp, which we have been covering up in foam pads. Something we have never liked was how much the large flat stone pieces on the hearth hang over 3" as you can see in the pictures.

Looking for advice what our options might be ... can they be cut shorter? But then the edge will be flat and weird...? Or can they be removed and replaced? Is removing them difficult?

In the dream scenario if there was money burning a hole in our pockets, we would completely remove and replace all the stone to something less sharp... even though we know the kids will grow up.

Thank you in advance!
Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Hardwood
Wood Road surface Floor Flooring Wall

Brown Wood Brickwork Brick Floor

·
Registered
11,569 Posts
Not the response I expected, but I do genuinely appreciate that response Huesmann, thank you. Every time we think we're ready to remove the padding, when we see the hearth. ... our instincts say... maybe not yet.
Do you like the existing edge appearance, and if you change it to something else will you like that?

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,915 Posts
Not so sure that's actual slate, it might be cultured stone that is modeled to look like slate?

What about using pool noodles or pipe insulation for a few more years to get by, rather than the messy styrene?

Our girls are 9 & 11 now, we don't worry about them too much, but my wife has run an in-home day care since my oldest was born. I know a thing or two about child-proofing. I wouldn't go through all the work of changing the hearthstones out for something that still will pose some danger, when the kids will have no issue with it in a few years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not so sure that's actual slate, it might be cultured stone that is modeled to look like slate?

What about using pool noodles or pipe insulation for a few more years to get by, rather than the messy styrene?

Our girls are 9 & 11 now, we don't worry about them too much, but my wife has run an in-home day care since my oldest was born. I know a thing or two about child-proofing. I wouldn't go through all the work of changing the hearthstones out for something that still will pose some danger, when the kids will have no issue with it in a few years.
Appreciate that jomama45! You could be right on the material... I'm not sure. Yeah we've made it 6 years so far.... when the crashes have happened we've been thankful for the padding. Maybe we're most of the way through, and soon it won't matter with the kids old enough. Pool noodle sounds like a trade off though to our current padding. Might look into that. Thank you for you time and response 👍🏼

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate that jomama45! You could be right on the material... I'm not sure. Yeah we've made it 6 years so far.... when the crashes have happened we've been thankful for the padding. Maybe we're most of the way through, and soon it won't matter with the kids old enough. Pool noodle sounds like a trade off though to our current padding. Might look into that. Thank you for you time and response 👍🏼
For now I went with the pool noodle option, or pipe insulation since it's black. Someday maybe we'll tackle a more serious option. I appreciate everyone's idea 💡 Kids being kids thought it was new again and instantly the lego came out 😊
Table Toy Wood Toy block Urban design

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I would blast it out and install something smooth. Isn’t that rough surface a pain in the butt to clean?

·
Registered
36 Posts
We preferred raising kids around objects that teach how life is, but we still were too protective as we look back.

If that's a liability now it will always be a liability unless you plan to never have company or relatives with small children of a tender age in the house. Taking the sharp edges off doesn't change things much because stone is still hard. You might consider replacing the bothersom portion with distressed Oak with rounded edges,

·
Registered
100 Posts
The lego photo looks staged.
When my kids play with legos, nothing is ever that organized,
and in fact, it always looks like lego factory exploded.
We trained our kids to just stay the hell away from dangerous situations.
Seemed like a better long term way to protect them than trying to
mitigate a hazard then have them play around it, but hey, we're weird.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts