DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats a more reliable 1/2" residential water fitting? sharkbite and pex, or a threaded pipe fitting?

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,899 Posts
Ayuh,.... It depends on what yer attachin' to whatever else...

in other words, with yer Few words, yer question is Unanswerable...

·
Registered
37,305 Posts
All will work if done correctly. Really would be great if we had all the info on exactly what it is your trying to do.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a brass 90 split from cold weather on an exterior wall where an outside hose bib comes in. The 90 is connected to pex with a crimp that travel up the stud bay. I cut the pex above the 90 to cap it so I can use my water until I fix the plumbing. I'm just trying to figure out what the best fix is, that's all. Seems like there is 100 different ways to fix it. If a pipe connection is more leakproof than a sharkbite, I'll minimize the sharkbite connections I use, etc...

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,899 Posts
Ayuh,.... The problem is gonna be, No matter what fittings you use, when Frozen, they Split....

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
PEX is probably less susceptible to bursting from freezing, since it has some expansion capability. A crimped on connection is normally used for PEX. But Sharkbite-type connectors are allowed behind walls by most codes so use it if you want to. They are more expensive than the crimp rings, but then if you don't have a crimper that can get more expensive.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Freezing is not a concern for me. This was the only hose bib that I hadn't insulated. We're in a little bit of a cold spell here in CA. I'm just wondering which joint is better (ie. more leak proof). Either one will not freeze because it will be insulated.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I've seen both leak, but I've never seen either leak if it's installed properly. So I guess the question is which is harder to install properly. You have to verify the Sharkbite is in all the way, but there is a known distance it should go in so you can verify that. I don't know how to verify threaded pipe.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Freezing is not a concern for me. This was the only hose bib that I hadn't insulated. We're in a little bit of a cold spell here in CA. I'm just wondering which joint is better (ie. more leak proof). Either one will not freeze because it will be insulated.
which one do you like..that is the best one for you ......ben sr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts