DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37,461 Posts
All will work if done correctly. Really would be great if we had all the info on exactly what it is your trying to do.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a brass 90 split from cold weather on an exterior wall where an outside hose bib comes in. The 90 is connected to pex with a crimp that travel up the stud bay. I cut the pex above the 90 to cap it so I can use my water until I fix the plumbing. I'm just trying to figure out what the best fix is, that's all. Seems like there is 100 different ways to fix it. If a pipe connection is more leakproof than a sharkbite, I'll minimize the sharkbite connections I use, etc...

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
PEX is probably less susceptible to bursting from freezing, since it has some expansion capability. A crimped on connection is normally used for PEX. But Sharkbite-type connectors are allowed behind walls by most codes so use it if you want to. They are more expensive than the crimp rings, but then if you don't have a crimper that can get more expensive.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Freezing is not a concern for me. This was the only hose bib that I hadn't insulated. We're in a little bit of a cold spell here in CA. I'm just wondering which joint is better (ie. more leak proof). Either one will not freeze because it will be insulated.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
I've seen both leak, but I've never seen either leak if it's installed properly. So I guess the question is which is harder to install properly. You have to verify the Sharkbite is in all the way, but there is a known distance it should go in so you can verify that. I don't know how to verify threaded pipe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.