DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people are comfortable with Sharkbites (push to connect) fittings anywhere, and some are not comfortable with them anywhere, and some are comfortable with them only in accessible places.

If you are in the camp of avoiding them in inaccessible places, how do you feel about them for example as a fitting for a shower with an access panel?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I know some people are comfortable with Sharkbites (push to connect) fittings anywhere, and some are not comfortable with them anywhere, and some are comfortable with them only in accessible places.

If you are in the camp of avoiding them in inaccessible places, how do you feel about them for example as a fitting for a shower with an access panel?
Preface by saying I do only work for myself and family. I have no issue with the sharkbite fittings. To be honest I avoid them if they are going to be behind drywall etc. But use them a lot where they are accessible. In the last ten years I have never had an issue with one.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,580 Posts
IMHO, anyone doing their own plumbing should invest $30 in a PEX crimping tool. You are fooling yourself if think you will never use it again. And on average, push-connects are $5 more than a PEX fitting, so it's doesn't take many fittings to equal the cost, and so doing gives you a more reliable connection.

·
Registered
390 Posts
My company has used them professionally (industrial building maintenance teams) with no reported issues. I also wouldn't hesitate to use them in any location.

The key, as it usually is, is correct installation. The pipes they will be installed onto need to be dressed correctly, and a lot of people either don't do this or do it incorrectly.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
IMHO, anyone doing their own plumbing should invest $30 in a PEX crimping tool
I 100% agree. I was going to install a water softener in my home and started pricing everything out.
Using the Shark fitting would have cost me at least $75 more.
I bought the crimper and crimp fittings and saved money. No leaks, no worries.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
My company has used them professionally (industrial building maintenance teams) with no reported issues.
I am surprised that a company would spend that much on fittings. Of course if they pass that cost on to someone else I understand.
Sharkbite fittings are perfect for homeowners with little skill or knowledge about plumbing.
I guess the cost is justified if you want it fast and simple.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I do copper only, sweated and soldered, no shark bites, no PEX, no plastic, no galvanized.
I don't expect to change now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
IMHO, anyone doing their own plumbing should invest $30 in a PEX crimping tool. You are fooling yourself if think you will never use it again. And on average, push-connects are $5 more than a PEX fitting, so it's doesn't take many fittings to equal the cost, and so doing gives you a more reliable connection.
Agreed, and I recommend the one that compresses
a copper ring all the way around the pipe.
Superior method than the side clamp one.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I always preferred copper to everything else. I have been around long enough to go through all of the types of plumbing.
From galvanized, to PVC and copper.
Copper is such a neat installation that I always used it when I could.
But when I had a small job on my home that was already PEX I figured it would be smart to keep it all PEX.
The ease of cutting the tube, the simplicity of the PEX fittings and the leak tight crimp fastener made me understand why PEX is so popular. I'mm sold on it now.
I doubt I would use anything else unless the installation required it.
Faster, cheaper and the additional flexibility when working in an existing system make it my go to choice.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
You are fooling yourself if think you will never use it again.
That too is exactly right.
I am in the middle of a remodel and my air hose was leaking. As I looked at it I wondered if the PEX crimp rings would be a viable option for hose mending.
It turns out that they fit the air hose and perfectly crimp the barbed air hose fittings. Much cheaper than the screw on type and I can't see a downside.
No air leaks and a fast fix.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am surprised that a company would spend that much on fittings. Of course if they pass that cost on to someone else I understand.
Sharkbite fittings are perfect for homeowners with little skill or knowledge about plumbing.
I guess the cost is justified if you want it fast and simple.
It's automotive, so everyone is playing with someone else's money. We're trying to get it done quick and without any rework, spending an extra couple bucks isn't a big deal. The couple of plumbers/pipefitters on my team love them.

·
Registered
181 Posts

The money and time you save will be long lost after the first time the water damage occurs. Accessible or not the damage will still occur, it will just be easier to identify and repair the actual leak once it happens. You still may have damage to your floors and walls and ceilings the repair in addition. Access won’t make a difference to that.

Spend the few dollars to buy a simple tool to crimp your pex or solder your repair.

Based on the insurance claims my company has been sent to repair I am a firm believer that Sharkbite fittings are good for short term repairs and I wouldn’t trust them for more than that when used on pressurized lines.

Keep some sharkbite fittings to get you through a leak on Christmas Day, but repair your sharkbites with more reliable fittings soon after so it doesn’t get forgotten.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am in the middle of a remodel and my air hose was leaking. As I looked at it I wondered if the PEX crimp rings would be a viable option for hose mending.
It turns out that they fit the air hose and perfectly crimp the barbed air hose fittings. Much cheaper than the screw on type and I can't see a downside.
I fixed my garden hose like that too. It’s nice not to have a sharp edge like you get with the other methods of gear clamp or crimp connections.

If you have the tools on hand then you only need to do the repair once, instead of twice like what would be done if you fixed it with a sharkbite first.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Sharkbite is a good company. In fact they sell regular pex fittings, crimp and otherwise and they also sell the crimping tools.
Their slip fitting line is guaranteed leak proof and some of the fittings have indicators which tell you when the connection is viable.
In my opinion the crimp fittings are a sure thing, the push on........I don't know.
I do see them used everywhere with no leaks. Perhaps I will use them as a last resort.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,580 Posts
I started with the crimp rings and evolved to the SS cinch rings. The biggest advantage is that one tool will cinch (crimp) all your sizes. Price wise, they are relatively close. The cinch rings are easier to remove for rework or salvage of fittings. Performance, I have noticed no difference, zero failures with either method (with probably 1000+ of each installed)

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Of course. But soldering PEX adapters to existing copper pipes has its own set of problems and risks sometimes.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First, any link or reference for that claim? Second, the problem with the copper rings is that the crimper is large and won't fit in some places. I have both the crimp and clamp tools, and sometimes there is not choice but to use the clamp tool.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Good tip! Thanks

Reactions: Missouri Bound
1 - 20 of 43 Posts