DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
My husband and I own half a 1960s duplex. The dividing wall between the two homes is made of hollow block. I know it is hollow as I have drilled into it before.
I will be taking out the existing kitchen right down to the studs and putting in a whole new kitchen.What I would like to do is add electrics along the cinderblock wall without eating into too much of the room. I plan on putting up cement board to install tiles. As such, I would like to do a shallow installation, meaning, flat mount the 2x4s.
My questions are:
1. How do I go about attaching the wood to the wall being that it is a “firewall” and without weakening it? (When I drilled into it before I added a caulking with the anchor but this was a simple decor thing.)
2. How do I frame this so that the electrics can be run through? Panel is directly below the kitchen along the same block wall.
3. What should I use to attach the studs to floor and ceiling?
Thanks for add your guidance and advice.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Hammered Thumb
3,501 Posts
Any fasteners in the wall won't weaken the CMU. But for the flat 2x4s you should still have a top and bottom plate attached to the floor and rafter (the CMU should be going all the way to underside of the roof sheathing, which means there should be a rafter right against the CMU to attach the top plate to). Use full length studs, and that looks like a 10' high ceiling. Once you add all the blocking for the upper & lower cabinets (makes it easier for cabinet install) I don't think you'll even need to anchor the studs into the CMU.

If you have access from the basement it may be wise to run the cabling for each receptacle vertical rather than across the flat studs. You do have that one in the corner and others you probably need to account for in the circuits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply.

I won’t be putting cabinets up on this wall only tile, sconces, exhaust and a couple of floating shelves. Yes, it will be nice to have electrics in this wall as the only ones we have are at either end of it on wood framed walls.
I do like running the electrics vertically from the floor but how do I frame it to do that?
Also, what would you suggest for attaching the wood to the wall?
Thank you again.

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
Run the power up the wall in conduit to the outlets than just build around them the top and bottom plate is just a 2x4 screwed to the wall.

All good until you find a floor joist right below where you want to drill holes in the floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That is fantastic. I was just concerned about drilling through the sides of the boards for the wiring. I know There will be plate brackets to protect the wiring along the wood but just wasn’t sure if 1/2” think would do it.
I was just sitting here thinking that I could just use 2x3s. Then I would at least have 2-1/2” for drilling holes for wiring and lots of room for shallow boxes.

Oh, and, yes, thank you for the top about the trusses.

You have been a great help here.
Thank you SO much.
Cheers

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
That is fantastic. I was just concerned about drilling through the sides of the boards for the wiring. I know There will be plate brackets to protect the wiring along the wood but just wasn’t sure if 1/2” think would do it.
I was just sitting here thinking that I could just use 2x3s. Then I would at least have 2-1/2” for drilling holes for wiring and lots of room for shallow boxes.

Oh, and, yes, thank you for the top about the trusses.

You have been a great help here.
Thank you SO much.
Cheers
For extra depth add 1x4 to the back of the 2x4 and you will have 2 1/4 depth plus the drywall. Just leave spaces in the 1x4 to run the wires behind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts