DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a kitchen reno and I'd really like to be able to put an outlet on the side of a drawer cabinet. Problem is, there's only 1.5" clearance from the face of the cabinet to the drawer box. I'd prefer not to have to modify the drawer box.

An 8 CI Carlon shallow box would be perfect, but I need 11.3 CI to meet box fill requirements:

The 17 CI Carlon box with the sidecar is too deep and won't clear the drawer box:

I suppose cutting the sides off a pair of 8" boxes and gluing them together would void any UL listing, or violate code?

A 4" square Raco 185 steel box with a Raco 787 cover would fit if mounted flush with the cabinet face:

I'd need to modify a 2-gang blank plate to cover it:

Or I could use a double device cover and blanking combo plate (and end up with an offset outlet):

Can anyone think of any other bright ideas?

(I'm already locating an outlet close to the back, where there's space behind the drawer for a deeper box, just hoping to add a more convenient outlet towards the front of the cabinet.)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Without looking one up, look for a metal switch box with ears that may be slightly deeper than the 1st one you mentioned. No good way to Mount a 4" sq.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Without looking one up, look for a metal switch box with ears that may be slightly deeper than the 1st one you mentioned. No good way to Mount a 4" sq.
Will look.

I would mount the square box to the cut edge of the plywood hole, using the small holes on the edge of the box:

Is it perfect? No, but 8 screws should be reasonably solid.
Just an idea, use the shallow 2-gang box and make it a quad receptacle
You mean the shallow Raco box above, or this shallow Carlon?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Is there any proscription against modification of the mounting method?
Depends on whether your inspector considers the box to be "secured"
Drilling into the edge of plywood is not very strong. Will it hold? probably for a while, until someone busts out a hammer trying to get a plug into the TR receptacle :LOL:

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem is the 1.5" handy box is only 10.3 cu in. :(

Now, if I go with the square box toward the front, I probably have to go with a square box toward the back too, or it'll look weird.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, waitaminute. I was looking at drawn ones. This handy box is 11.5 cu in! It even has mounting holes on the sides.

I think we may have a winner! Thanks Wired!

·
Super Moderator
14,967 Posts
Mount the box below or above the drawer.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mount the box below or above the drawer.
That is a slight possibility which will require shaving the top of the middle drawer...that would be the easy part. The hard part would be convincing The Boss that a horizontal outlet is OK.

Oh, waitaminute. I was looking at drawn ones. This handy box is 11.5 cu in! It even has mounting holes on the sides.

I think we may have a winner! Thanks Wired!
Dammit! Friggin Home Depot B&M store has the 10.3 cu in drawn Steel City handy box under the same SKU, instead of the 11.58 cu in welded Raco one. Gonna have to schlep to Lowe's, and if they also don't have the Raco one, I'll have to order it online. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One more question—are there any requirements on outlet height (above floor level) when on the outside of a cabinet?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts