DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
just finished building a shadow box fence. Now trying to figure out how the gates are built for a shadowbox fence. Looking online but haven't found any good picture that depicts the anatomy of a shadow box fence gate.
the sides of my fence is built this way, 4x4 post. on the outside of 4x4, I attached three 2x4 across(wider side) and pickets(5.5") going on the 2x4 with 3.5" spacing.
The challenge I'm facing is, where to attach the hinge. the gate plane may not be the same as the rest of the fence based on what I'm seeing. Do the gate have same shadowbox pattern?

Appreciate any help/suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,219 Posts
The gate can 'look' like anything you want it to.

Depending on the hinges you chose you may need to add additional framing on the gate side so you have something solid to mount them to.

You should be able to attach the hinge to a fence board if there's adequate backing behind it.

There should be no reason that the gate and the fence shouldn't be on the same plane.

If I'm missing something here, post a picture of what you're dealing with.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,480 Posts
A picture of your fence would help me figure out what you mean by "Shadowbox fence".

To me a shadowbox is a knick-knack shelf, built with a mirrored back, so that you can see the backside of the what-knots on it.

Or a boxers routine for practice.

Is this a fence with pickets on both sides of the 2X cross pieces?

ED

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First image shows where the gate would go. the ground isn't level and there's a bit of slope.

second image shows fence in progress. only the right end has pickets on both sides as we were still working on it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The gate can 'look' like anything you want it to.

Depending on the hinges you chose you may need to add additional framing on the gate side so you have something solid to mount them to.

If I'm missing something here, post a picture of what you're dealing with.
A picture of your fence would help me figure out what you mean by "Shadowbox fence".

ED
Added pic for your reference. Should the gate swing in or out? I'm looking for recommendations as it doesn't matter to me. whichever is a good practice.
Thanks.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,480 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you say "wire cross strengtheners", what specific material are you referring to?

Build a 2X4 framework to build a gate with the pickets on both sides.with wire cross strengtheners inside.

Use hinges like these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-Pa...386449&hash=item3b009bbb07:g:STgAAOSwRE5aecJ~

And it can swing both ways.

Remember to allow room for it to clear.

And a simple Hook & eye latch to keep it closed.

Or there are 2222 Gate hinges listed on e-bay for your choosing.

ED

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,480 Posts
You get a small cable, a few cable clamps, a turnbuckle, and screw eyes.

And run a diagonal anti-sag "wire" inside the framework, to keep everything square.

The gate will be heavy and tend to sag and get out of square without it.

You could also use gussets on the corners, or a steel strapping, or other method to strengthen the framework.

ED

1 - 9 of 9 Posts