DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am on city sewer lines

been in this house for 19 years and have never done any maintenance on the main sewer lines

yes i just knocked on wood lol

just wondering ...

any suggestions for anything that can be flushed down toilets to clean up any dried .... ummmm .... dried crud (you know what i mean) that probably exists in them there pipes from house to street?

couldnt find this topic anywhere and thought why not bring it to the DIY people .. this forum is great!

·
registered
1,354 Posts
best thing to do. CAll a guy with a hydrojetter. He will put the spinner nozzle on it. When he is done the pipe is clean as a whistle.:yes: Assuming you have clean out in front yard. power rodding won't scour a pipe. I know of no product to put in to clean a pipe. Only to kill roots.

He will have a bunch of nozzles for it. Like a warthog. Its a badboy. For your application the spinner will be perfect. It will scour the inside of pipe. (i'm not sure what this nozzle is called.) It shoots water through the sides of nozzle while spinning.

My hydrojetter guy has a box of nozzles. The warthog he told me is a 1000 dollar nozzle for stubborn tree roots. On mine its warthog then the spinner.

·
Premium Member
11,833 Posts
I agree with the above comments but if you're loosing sleep over it. Dig out your yellow pages and find a plumber that has a special on sewer inspections. Let them rum a camera down the line. that will tell you if jetting or cleaning is needed.

Reactions: oldernow

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Well this is not for your sewer line, but it makes sense to pour a lobster pot of boiling water through your traps once in a while to clear any build up in them. I also fill my very large kitchen sink and pull the plug once in a while just for the heck of it.

·
Master Plumber
1,615 Posts
Like most of the guys are saying if its not broken don't try and fix it, now if you are concerned about possible future problems a camera will do the trick, plumbing systems are designed to be self cleaning, however some lines will tend to accumulate matter mainly grease, such as the kitchen line and the main at ether the second clean out going into the city lateral or at the inlet tee in a septic tank. the only advantage is that if a problem is starting, for example roots, and you have not experienced a back ups at this point you have a head start on the problem, gives you time to plan for a repair weather it be financial or convenience.

·
Always learning...
464 Posts
Well this is not for your sewer line, but it makes sense to pour a lobster pot of boiling water through your traps once in a while to clear any build up in them. I also fill my very large kitchen sink and pull the plug once in a while just for the heck of it.
Any danger to the tubular pvc waste pipes exposing them to boiling hot water? I've heard people say you shouldn't do it but we have pasta about once a week and pour the water down the drain and haven't had any issues.

·
Master Plumber
1,615 Posts
Any danger to the tubular pvc waste pipes exposing them to boiling hot water? I've heard people say you shouldn't do it but we have pasta about once a week and pour the water down the drain and haven't had any issues.

Boiling water is the worst thing you can poor down a sink. all it does is soften the grease spreads it further down the line as soon as the water cools the grease hardens. the best thing for preventive maintenance are natural enzymes weekly/monthly treatments they work tested and seen, fantastic results in kitchen drains grease traps septic tanks etc,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts