DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

My in-laws have a cracked and root infiltrated sewer line that needs to be replaced.

The plumber that ran the camera said they have 5" cast iron in the house, 5" clay pipe from house to street including a 10-12 ft section that's under a concrete slab porch. The Plumber proposed to trench down, remove the exposed clay pipe and run a 4" PVC pipe through the clay pipe under the concrete slab and somehow connect it to the cast iron pipe near the basement.

My question is does this make sense? I'm wondering how he is going to insert a 4" PVC pipe into a cast iron pipe without a rubber connector where you need to clamp it down. How will he do this when he won't have access to tighten any connectors?

Thanks!

·
registered
1,354 Posts
Hey Everyone,

My in-laws have a cracked and root infiltrated sewer line that needs to be replaced.

The plumber that ran the camera said they have 5" cast iron in the house, 5" clay pipe from house to street including a 10-12 ft section that's under a concrete slab porch. The Plumber proposed to trench down, remove the exposed clay pipe and run a 4" PVC pipe through the clay pipe under the concrete slab and somehow connect it to the cast iron pipe near the basement.

My question is does this make sense? I'm wondering how he is going to insert a 4" PVC pipe into a cast iron pipe without a rubber connector where you need to clamp it down. How will he do this when he won't have access to tighten any connectors?

Thanks!
If he can pull this off it will save big money. Seeing how its 5 inch he is thinking 4 inch will fit through it. He will then make the fernco boot connection down in basement. Or its jackhammer out concrete slab and re-pour. Somewhere in the basement you should be able to see the connection. Or it needs to be dug up in basement to find.

ps. Ask if he can run the 4inch pvc pipe through the clay tile out to main for addition money being saved. He may or maynot be able to do this.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If he can pull this off it will save big money. Seeing how its 5 inch he is thinking 4 inch will fit through it. He will then make the fernco boot connection down in basement. Or its jackhammer out concrete slab and re-pour. Somewhere in the basement you should be able to see the connection. Or it needs to be dug up in basement to find.

ps. Ask if he can run the 4inch pvc pipe through the clay tile out to main for addition money being saved. He may or maynot be able to do this.
He wants to run the 4" PVC through the clay pipe and push it under the slab and up to the cast iron. However how is this going to seal the line without a fernco tying the two pipes together?

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I'm not sure 4" PVC will go thru 5". I've done it on 6" and if the clay is not perfectly straight- left/right, up/down it gets real tough.
Get a price to burst it with 4" poly from inside the house

Reactions: psubaron

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure 4" PVC will go thru 5". I've done it on 6" and if the clay is not perfectly straight- left/right, up/down it gets real tough.
Get a price to burst it with 4" poly from inside the house
When you did it, did you just insert it through the clay pipe by sliding under slab and inserting into cast iron or is it necessary to actually couple the two pipes together using a fernco type fitting? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
When you did it, did you just insert it through the clay pipe by sliding under slab and inserting into cast iron or is it necessary to actually couple the two pipes together using a fernco type fitting? Thanks!
Yes they need to be attached with a fitting.
I sleeve the 6" clay city lateral under the street and boot it with a 4x6 CI xCL fernco. City won't approve it without the fernco

Google pipe bursting

Reactions: psubaron
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.