DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sewer cleanout line cap is ten feet away from a standalone storage room behind my house. i want to install a toilet in this room (running water and electricity in the storage room, but no toilet stub) and build a studio apartment. The concrete floor of the storage room is 5 feet above the cleanout line. Am thinking a flush-down toilet would work.

Would this cleanout line being so close make the toilet install easier, complicate it or not matter at all.

The top of my sewer clean out line is ten feet away from a standalone storage room behind my house. i want to install a brand new toilet where none existed before in this room. It has running water and electricity but that's it.

I want to build a studio apartment here. The concrete floor of the storage room is 5 feet above the clean out line.

Would this clean out line being so close make the toilet install easier, complicate it or not matter at all? Thx

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
It is conceivable that the clean out could be used to connect a sewer line from the new toilet. Whether or not this is very helpful depends on how deep the sewer line is. If it is very deep that would be very helpful. If it is not very deep you would probably still use it. Connecting the new sewer line to the clean out right at the sewer line with a sanitary tee would be easier than cutting the sewer line itself.

·
retired framer
49,148 Posts
I would want the connection below ground, can they get to the pipe somewhere with out breaking concrete?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Not knowing your lay out of the addition I would not begin to tell you how to run the stack and drain for it.

But if the addition is above the clean out and it is acceptable to you for the drain to be exposed and visible you could break out the cap of that cast iron clean out. Put in a grommet. Then put in a PVC street tee with a threaded side port. Put a threaded plug in the side port for a clean out. Then pipe a PVC drain/vent stack to the toilet.

That will not be easy and you need a real plumber to do it. Cast iron is put together with lead and oakum joints.

There is regular cast iron and there is heavy duty cast iron and you need the correct size grommet.

The PVC street tee will be difficult to get in the grommet. You will probably need a big hammer and lots of profanity to get it in. That's why you need a real plumber, one that knows how to work with cast iron. That probably means an old plumber.

You certainly don't want to try to tap into a cast iron sewer line under ground if you can at all avoid it. Be very costly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts