DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased this house last year and I am not familiar with an ejector pump. Just found out what it was after the alarm went off in the laundry room. Guys came and opened the tank outside. It's small and he says it may be a faulty pump and proceeds to drain. There is thick globs of white chunks floating in the tank. As he suctions all of this out - it trips the pump and it starts to work again. He said I'm lucky that it started back functioning. He wasn't expecting it to work and give me packets to flush down the system every month. Now fast-forward (that was 6 mos ago). Today the alarm goes off again. I go outside and the float is covered with white chunks again. I move the float and try to remove as much white stuff as I can. Still nothing. Go inside and look at the circuit breaker. It's flipped. It wasn't flipped last time this happened. I flipped it and go outside, still nothing. I start to move the float and hear the pump turn on BUT it will only turn on if I move the float to a particular position. My neighbor says she has had to replace her pump 3 times already and just informed me the previous owner of this house always had problems with the pump (to the point of it overflowing sewage into her yard) but she didn't want to say anything while he was trying to sell the house. Well now apparently this is our problem.

I have attached a photo of what the inside of the pump looks like. It's yucky and I see wires and the float. It is not full yet but continues to trip the circuit breaker. I have turned it off until the septic guy can show up tomorrow. Any clue on what that white stuff is? It was just drained 6 mos ago. Why is the circuit breaker tripping? Pump will not run but for a little while and then trips again. Even when it does run now, I have to push the float into a certain position to get it to work but it keeps turning off. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
Possibly water got into the wiring and tripping the breaker. Discharge line could be plugged making motor overheat. Just an opinion.

White stuff could be grease, soap, combination of both. Hard to say. Do you dump grease down the drain? What kind of laundry soap do you use?

Hope the plumber can get it fixed tomorrow for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
White stuff is fats/grease from what I have been told. That's why it floats on top. Its normal for a septic to have some.

Other reasons it could be tripping the breaker.. Bad wiring, problem with the control box (I am assuming that you have one since you say it has an alarm), weak breaker.

If the previous owner actually replaced the pump a couple of times. Then there is a problem somewhere causing them to burn out or the quality of the pumps was terrible.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts