DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I am by no means a professional.
I moved into my apartment back in December and since the first time I showered, there has been severe nicotine stain and odor issues.
Property management has sent painters out 10x since then. They apply killz, sometimes multiple layers and paint over it. But as soon as there’s steam in the bathroom again, more staining and odor bleeds through.
there is also a maintenance room on the other side of the wall that is kept at 110 degrees, applying heat to the affected wall at all times.
I am to the point now that I’m trying to take care of this on my own as a diy project.
What is the best thing to use? I am willing to drop several hundred dollars on this project. I just want to not be grossed out by my bathroom every single day.
I plan on sanitizing the walls, using whatever is suggested and applying a darker paint over it.
Any help is appreciated. I’ve attached a photo to illustrate what I’m dealing with.
Rectangle Material property Tints and shades Technology Symmetry

·
retired painter
12,193 Posts
Kilz that is rolled/brushed on will do a LOT better than if it comes out of a rattle can. 1 coat of oil base Kilz should adequately seal the nicotine. A pigmented shellac like Zinnser's BIN is the ultimate stain/odor sealer. It is important to give the primer enough time to dry well before applying the finish paint.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
To add, Kilz usually does the trick but BIN is the standard stain blocker for nicotine. When it’s that bad, they really should scrub the walls with a strong cleanser to get as much of the nicotine off as possible. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry for 24-48 hours. Then, a coat of BIN will seal it all up.

Another contributing issue I see is that the walls seem very, very wet, so wet in fact, that it’s reactivating the nicotine underneath the paint. That’s an issue that should be addressed before re-painting. A better exhaust or the cleaning out of the old one is very much needed.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My experience with BIN and nicotine stains/odor supports Mark's and Gymschu's posts. The previous occupants of this house must have all been heavy smokers. We did wash the walls before painting, but after two washings with ammonia, the stains and the odor remained. Decided to give the BIN a try and that did it. Haven't had a problem since. And one coat of BIN did a great job of priming the awful red, pink and teal walls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.