DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I bought a 220v air compressor. My breaker box is in the living room in the basement but i need a 220v plug in the garage. what will be the easiest way to put a 220v plug in the garage?

·
Registered
37,459 Posts
Any power ran to the garage now?
100% sure the motors not 120/240 so it could be changed to run on 120 volts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is a few regular outlets in the garage.
The compressor is a 60gal 3.7hp not sure if it will work on 120V
the laundry is right next to the garage tho just a wall separating it, would i be able to run another outlet from the dryer into the garage?

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
You can't run an extension cord thru a wall. Nor are you to use them in place of permanent wiring.

You need to run a new circuit to the garage for the compressor.

If you anticipate future electrical growth in the garage, whether 120V or240V, I would consider running a feeder (larger than what you would run for the compressor) to a subpanel in the garage, then a circuit from the sub to compressor.

·
Registered
37,459 Posts
Oso954's idea is the best so far.
By do it that way you would have enough amps to run even more machinery, add a 220 volt window A/C, run the lights on one circuit, outlets on another and not have the lights dimming and having to run inside the house if a breaker trips.
All the outlet wiring should have been on it's own ciruuit on a 20 amp breaker and be 12-2, with GFI protection.
What's your's?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.