DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 100 amp service wire outside sheath, cover, coating, wire, is cracked. I've been painting it. I assume it's original to the house from 1965. I'm thinking of having a friend who is a retired electric company employee replace it. This was her job. Lineman? Or something called different? She charges $25/hr.

Should I replace it with new 4 aluminum?

2 copper?

Should I just have the old wire enclosed in plastic conduit?

Should I have it replaced with new then enclosed in plastic conduit?I

The plastic conduit looks nicer, cleaner.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 100 amp service wire outside sheath, cover, coating, wire, is cracked. I've been painting it. I assume it's original to the house from 1965. I'm thinking of having a friend who is a retired electric company employee replace it. This was her job. Lineman? Or something called different? She charges $25/hr.

Should I replace it with new 4/0 aluminum?

2/0 copper?

Should I just have the old wire enclosed in plastic conduit?

Should I have it replaced with new then enclosed in plastic conduit?I

The plastic conduit looks nicer, cleaner.
When you say "Service Wire" are you referring to the line coming in to the meter or the line from the meter to your load center?

If coming into your meter from the Utility Company, then nobody is allowed to service that line except for the Utility Company or their Third Party Service Contractors that they would assign the job to. However keep in mind that if this is the Service Utility wire coming into the Meter chances are that they will NOT be able to replace the wire for any Overhead Wiring and will require that it is to be ran underground. Utility Companies are at the point now that Government Regulations won't allow any new lines to be ran overhead for permanent wiring. Constructions site have exceptions for temp electrical.

If it is from the Meter to the Main Load Center then yes 4/0 AL or 2/0 Copper is good if you ever decided to bump your 100 AMP to 200 AMP later on.

Cheers!

TRI0N :vs_cool:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If coming into your meter from the Utility Company, then nobody is allowed to service that line except for the Utility Company or their Third Party Service Contractors that they would assign the job to. However keep in mind that if this is the Service Utility wire coming into the Meter chances are that they will NOT be able to replace the wire for any Overhead Wiring and will require that it is to be ran underground. Utility Companies are at the point now that Government Regulations won't allow any new lines to be ran overhead for permanent wiring.
You must live in an entirely different part of the world where the rules are different.

In many cases, the property owner is responsible for the wire from the weather head to the meter, which is the cable that I think the OP is referring to. To replace it, the utility company would have to shut off the power and pull the meter. But then the customer or his electrical contractor would replace the wire.

And utility companies have not banned overhead service drops in general. They are still allowed in many/most places.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi, that cable from the service drop down to your meter is likely your responsibility, 2/3 SE Al. if fine for that application as long as it is a 100 Amp service, you could use PVC if you like but the SE cable is plastic coat and stand up well, your choice.
PS 4/0 will not fit the lugs on a 100 Amp meter.
Geo

·
Licensed electrician
13,387 Posts
When you say "Service Wire" are you referring to the line coming in to the meter or the line from the meter to your load center?

If coming into your meter from the Utility Company, then nobody is allowed to service that line except for the Utility Company or their Third Party Service Contractors that they would assign the job to. However keep in mind that if this is the Service Utility wire coming into the Meter chances are that they will NOT be able to replace the wire for any Overhead Wiring and will require that it is to be ran underground. Utility Companies are at the point now that Government Regulations won't allow any new lines to be ran overhead for permanent wiring. Constructions site have exceptions for temp electrical.

If it is from the Meter to the Main Load Center then yes 4/0 AL or 2/0 Copper is good if you ever decided to bump your 100 AMP to 200 AMP later on.

Cheers!

The OP does not need a new triplex to be run to the house. They need a new service cable from the weatherhead to the meter. This cable is the homeowners responsibility. The utility should have no jurisdiction over this cable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
From the top of the roof to the meter attached to the outside of the house.
From the “weather head” where the power company’s line connects up top to your line, down to the meter, is all your property. You’re responsible for that.

Just saw above comment. So at the mouth of two witnesses.

·
Registered
83 Posts
From the “weather head” where the power company’s line connects up top to your line, down to the meter, is all your property. You’re responsible for that.

Just saw above comment. So at the mouth of two witnesses.
So he means the taps to the meter then? Well if his friend is a lineman that shouldn't be much of a problem. Taps are what $15-20 a pop so it pretty cheap.

The whole lineman being involved had me thinking something beyond normal home owner work like up the service pole...

Cheers!

·
Registered
618 Posts
As others have said, the service entrance cable belongs to customer. You can use 2-2-4 SEU or install individual conductors in conduit, the choice is yours. Probably will need a permit and inspection. Typical change is about a 2 hr. job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts