DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original plumber left this clean out sticking up. Shouldn't be like that. So I'm guessing I should cut it flat with the concrete, then fill it in or cap it off somehow?

The rest of the pipe is sticking out from under the slab. What size and type should I use to make the clean out there?

For the well, where is the pipe that the house water should come from? Is it one of those valves?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
First, what is the pipe that is sticking up? what does it go to?

Next, I would build a well-house. I have one at my country place and i know those that do not and I have had way less problems...yes, they are supposed to be weather resistant, but UV takes a toll on everything. Since you didn't post your location, I am not sure of freezing plays a role or not?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, what is the pipe that is sticking up? what does it go to?

Next, I would build a well-house. I have one at my country place and i know those that do not and I have had way less problems...yes, they are supposed to be weather resistant, but UV takes a toll on everything.
Pipe sticking up comes from the main drain.

A well house doesn't solve my problem of knowing where to hook pipe to.

·
Usually Confused
7,269 Posts
The line to the house would connect to the opening at the black-handled gate valve. Strange that the plumber/well company didn't do any connections unless the house wasn't built at the time the well was sunk. I don't know about the drain vent. Unless there is a trap it's going to stink and it looks to be in an awkward location.
You must be in an area not prone to freezing - ever. Agree that the well head and pressure tank ultimately needs to be protected.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The line to the house would connect to the opening at the black-handled gate valve. Strange that the plumber/well company didn't do any connections unless the house wasn't built at the time the well was sunk. I don't know about the drain vent. Unless there is a trap it's going to stink and it looks to be in an awkward location.
You must be in an area not prone to freezing - ever. Agree that the well head and pressure tank ultimately needs to be protected.
I'm going to cut and plug/fill this drain vent, and put a new clean out underground where the drain exits the slab.

·
Usually Confused
7,269 Posts
I'm going to cut and plug/fill this drain vent, and put a new clean out underground where the drain exits the slab.

Not sure I'd do that without asking the plumber (or at least 'a' local plumber). It was obviously put there for a reason, perhaps some local plumbing code amendment. I don't know. I'm only familiar with old-style gravity septic systems that are not vented but there are other types with lift pumps, aerator tanks, etc. I'd hate to cap then later find there was a good reason for it. Perhaps it is just a clean-out, in which case it was finished off rather poorly in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Not sure I'd do that without asking the plumber (or at least 'a' local plumber). It was obviously put there for a reason, perhaps some local plumbing code amendment. I don't know. I'm only familiar with old-style gravity septic systems that are not vented but there are other types with lift pumps, aerator tanks, etc. I'd hate to cap then later find there was a good reason for it. Perhaps it is just a clean-out, in which case it was finished off rather poorly in my opinion.
It is just a clean out.

Am I going to need to start busting concrete so I can fit a plug on it? I believe so.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Did you have someone build this house? Is there a way to have the builder, plumber and water well Comp to all talk?

Your water well should have a 1" line leaving it and going towards the house. Somewhere at your house you should have an inbound pipe as a main line and possibly a shutoff valve (the shutoff valve is mandatory for code but I'm not sure who did what based on current pics & condition so that's why I'm guessing.

It's hard to see what you have so I'm not going to guess and give you uninformed answers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts