DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,739 Posts
Depending on how it is wired now it could involve running a new cable from the switch to the fan. More info is needed. How many wires and what colors are in the fan box? In the switch box?

·
Registered
61 Posts
At the box, there must be both a power feed to the fan and a power feed to the light. If these two wires are separately available, simply connect them to the separate switches. The other side of each switch ties to the 120v source.

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
How do I go about separating a fan and light from one switch to make them into two switches?
As Jim said it depends but one thing for sure you will have to have a 3 conductor (ie 14/3 with ground ) between the switch box and the fan box in order to have two switches on the wall.

If power enters the fan box first it would be possible to have the switch control the fan or the light and the pull chain (if it has them) the fan or the light ... your choice.

·
Just call me Andrew
2,279 Posts
You don't need 3-wire cable or individual power sources if you use the newer fancy switches with the canopy modules, like this one:

http://www.prolighting.com/lumamamufaco.html

You install the switch, the canopy module (brain) sits up in the fan housing and does the work for you. I installed a ceiling fan for my brother a few months ago...ran 14/3 from the switch to the new ceiling box. I ended up capping the red at both ends because we didn't need it, and his switch controls his fan and lights separately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts