DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to sell late this year, waiting on new home to be built. Been long time since I moved, 22 years ago. What are inspectors looking for? My home is in really good condition, I am one to keep up with repairs. I know they will look at plumbing, roof, electrical etc. any new surprises I should worry about? Can someone recommend a website to offer input.

One big concern I have is there is not a pool fence for children. Yes the back yard is fenced but not from the home. Will I get grandfathered in or do I make allowance with buyer if it comes up.

Thanks for input

Mule Skinner

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
I usually make it clear that we negotiating the price once and that is when the offer is signed.

And, include something like,"the buyer at their expense may perform any inspections they desire and void the contract if defects in excess of $X are are found".

Inspections as they are usually done are simply a scam where the negotiate the price after the fact.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Google "association of home inspectors".

Getting "grandfathered" isn't what happens. Either the inspector thinks the specific issue you describe is safe and within code, or he doesn't. He puts it in the report, and the buyer will then either use that to negotiate a lower price, or he won't.

In my experience, home inspections are not a "scam" - for example, the first thing the inspector noticed when he drove up to the house we were considering was that there was a huge dying tree threatening to fall over. We asked the seller to remove the tree, and they obliged. We were their only offer after the house had sat on the market for several months, so they figured the $2000 or whatever it was to remove the tree was worth it to save the deal.

In the house I recently sold, the buyers' inspector found a few minor issues, such as outdoor outlets without proper covers, etc. The buyers asked if we would deal with them, but backed off when we pointed out that we had 17 other offers. (Yes, 18 total, and I'm not even in CA.) The point is that how the post-inspection negotiation goes depends very much on the specific market for the house.

One last thing - inspectors are certainly not going to find everything wrong with the house. I've learned that the hard way. But I'll still definitely get an inspection the next time I buy a house.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.