DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am redoing the floor on a basement slab. There is an existing stuck down (mastic) vinyl tile which is decent but, because some new drains were laid, it is missing in some places. The concrete over the new drains is adequate. I want to use SLC to restore a flat surface for new vinyl mastic tiles.

The problem is that there is a slight tilt to the floor - whether that is by design or due to slab movement in the last 60 years is not known. If I use SLC will it all just pool to the deep end; or is there enough viscosity in the stuff to allow me to achieve a smooth but in fact not level base? I think the existing grade is small - perhaps 2 inches in 30 feet.

As always (you guys have been very helpful to me in the past for plumbing and electrical questions) I am very grateful for the professional assistance I receive here.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The self leveling stuff is a pain in the butt. Yes you can't use it with a slope, lol. It is only good for slight deviation in levelness. I would build a new sub floor (wood) over it, if you want it perfectly level.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Begal. In the end what I decided to do was to remove the existing self stick vinyl tile. I now have a exposed floor which I think must have had SLC applied at some time which appears to be in good condition. There were once mastic tiles because I can see some black swirls which have been 95% removed. There is a bit of a tacky remnant from the self stick tiles: do I have to remove that or should I just tlle over that? If I have to remove the tack from the self sticks it will be a PITA and I am concerned that in trying to get it up, I will damage the existing good later of SLC. I will be laying good quality vinyl with mastic, not self sticks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts