DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

selecting an electric water heater

7436 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  idic5
Hello all. i am in need of a little help on the best water heater to buy for the money.

right now, i have an A.O. Smith water heater.
50gallon, 53-1/2" in height

i realize AO Smith is one of the top water heater brands but at this current time, i cannot afford to replace our old water heater with the same brand.

i am looking at Home Depot and see a couple in the 50 gallon range and they are being classified as 50 gallon tall and 50 gallon.

the 50 gallon tall is about 4 inches higher than what i have now and the 50 gallon regular is about 6" shorter than what i have now.

what route should i go? s the warranty time that critical? they come in 6/9/12 year.

any advice?

thank you in advance
Shawn
1 - 3 of 8 Posts
i saw the kenmore brand at sears, fairly priced. i saw ge at home depot, but not sure which to go with. dont know the difference between all. i would like an energy star water heater.

i am planning on installing myself, atleast hoping to
to give an idea of what i have and the kind of space im dealing with here are the specs below.

AO SMITH - 50 gallon
20-1/2" diameter
53-1/2" height
50 Gallon
30A/240V service disconnect

i know nothing about insulation. i can go a little bigger in size but not much. few inches, yes.

my water heater is located in the house in the closet. know where near the outside.

what is teh difference in a shorter vs taller water heater?
See less See more
1 - 3 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.