DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The backside of our basement is completely above ground. However, sometimes after it rains, there will be small seepage spots on the inside of the basement wall. They are not large, just a few inches and are probably 2 to 3 feet from the basement floor. There also aren't many of them maybe 1 or 2 on the entire wall. How is this possible? Again, the backside of the basement walks out to ground level. How am I seeing seepage 2-3 feet above the ground? It's not bad, it doesn't cause drips or anything, you can just see where a spot on the concrete is damp.

The wall is concrete and has nothing covering it. I want to put a bedroom in this spot, but have concerns about this seepage. Even if it is really small. I have debated painting drylock, but that seems to have mixed results when you read online.

·
retired framer
47,140 Posts
The backside of our basement is completely above ground. However, sometimes after it rains, there will be small seepage spots on the inside of the basement wall. They are not large, just a few inches and are probably 2 to 3 feet from the basement floor. There also aren't many of them maybe 1 or 2 on the entire wall. How is this possible? Again, the backside of the basement walks out to ground level. How am I seeing seepage 2-3 feet above the ground? It's not bad, it doesn't cause drips or anything, you can just see where a spot on the concrete is damp.

The wall is concrete and has nothing covering it. I want to put a bedroom in this spot, but have concerns about this seepage. Even if it is really small. I have debated painting drylock, but that seems to have mixed results when you read online.
If you think it is just rain water getting in. You could seal the outside. If you do that it is important that you use one that allows the concrete to breath.
Water does wick thru concrete and will travel to warm we do want to evaporate to the outside when it is warm.
https://concretesealersreviews.com/breathable-concrete-sealers/

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Stay away from drylock, you want a good silane/siloxane penetrating sealer, stay away from Thompsons water seal, something from Prosoco,Sika,W R Grace, BASF are all good products, a little on the pricey side but they work, remember you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
When those wet spots appear take their temperature and the room air temperature then we'll have more information to diagnose by. Also take a picture of the outer surface of those areas.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
nothing breathable if you want to ensure no water penetration,,, we use hlm5000,,, more'n likely you've got wtr penetrating from outside - even on an exposed wall,,, it may be entering below grade & being forced upwards thru hydraulic pressure,,, sr usually wants to ck dewpoint but that's rarely the cause,,, i'd bet exterior drainage & hlm'll resolve your problem

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Could be mistaken, but i thought hlm5000 as for below grade application, but i agree with stadry about water being wicked up from below.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
woody mistaken ? that's rare ! yes, it is for below grade as its ugly & certainly not a final finish by any means,,, so it looks like woody's right again ! ! !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts