DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Where the new wider steps do not have the sidewalk to land on is creating another hazard and code violation. You may not have been required to pull permits, but you are still required to follow codes and he should know them.

Check required spacing on balusters and railing height requirements. Where that deck appears to be over a walk-in basement entrance (?) the height may need to be 40".

Bud

·
Registered
496 Posts
As everybody else has said this is totally unacceptable. Whoever did the work does not know what they are doing. What are the main contractor's credentials? I'd be very suspicious of him/her for allowing his/her 'employees' to do this. I'd also not want the 'employees' to do any more work on your property. Even if you have confidence in the main contractor I wouldn't let any more work be done unless he/she is on site working with and supervising his workers.....otherwise you'll be constantly wondering if mistakes are being made.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is not a competent deck builder. Anyone who knows what they were doing would not be using precut stringers like that. They need to tear that off and cut the right size stringers like they should have in the first place (how they would just run with that I have no idea). Additionally:
- they should use pressure treated lumber for the stringers
- the post in the ground holding up that corner is not good at all. It's going to rot, sag, heave, or all of the above.
- the stairs should be as wide as the landing. Either widen the landing or narrow the stairs like the original design
- They should picture frame the stair decking like they did the main deck. The cut ends look awful.
- I don't like the cut end on the top of the trim board either, looks unprofessional

They may have ran into a problem fastening the stringers to the deck rim [nothing to nail to] and this was the work around. There are much better ways to do it. Like others have mentioned, this would not meet any building code so if you need ammo when you're discussing it with them, I'd start there.

[source: general contractor]

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
So, there you have it.

Since the stairs MUST be redone, you can have them rebuilt so they are narrow like they were initially, and that would actually make it easier for the dipsticks that did the work, should you have them redo it.

Lot's of good advice n this thread....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well guys, I promised an update. Sorry it's been so long but it was finally finished last week. The contractor rebuilt the stairs and set the structural post in concrete. Railing and paint are also done. We're happy with how everything turned out in the end. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Attachments

·
11,730 Posts
---- Welcome to the forums!-----------

4x4 posts should work, figuring 10' span (if a 7' wide garage door...) to the post next to the stairs. Even at 10' span times 2' (1/2 depth of deck) times 40# (load per sq. ft. for decks) = 800# load on the post and around 8' high, far short of the example (1/4 the load) given on page 4, 5 here: http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standards/publications/dca/AWC-DCA62009-DeckGuide-1007.pdf Depends on the species joists, etc. also.

What would concern me is the distance the risers (top one esp.) vary from one another, appears to be 5/8", over the 3/8" max. allowed per code on fig. 27, if my eyes still work...

Is that white caulking on the grout of the bottom course of brick veneer/concrete wall, if so, is it plugging the weep holes in between bricks for required ventilation? Check the wall/brick joint at other locations... may have a potential water problem later. Looks like some on the second course up also, just above the decking all along it... hope they held the ledger out to drain the veneer, if needed.

Give a little side push on the guardrail posts- see if are sturdy enough, or just lagged into the decking... 1800# tension load, fig. 24, 26 attached to metal, look underneath, give us a pic or two. Surprised they didn't add some diagonal lateral bracing to the posts while they were there, or the required post top bracket/beam connection at least.

Paint your house numbers white/reflective so fire/medical can see from street. Surprised they left the PT rim showing...

Gary

21 - 28 of 28 Posts