DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm adding a large sediment filter to my system. Its in line now but now I realize the large blue filter housing that screws up into the top of the unit holds lot of water which I have to deal with when I drop it down to change a filter. I didn't even ask if they sold a housing with a drain valve. Wondering if I can add a very small bulkhead style fitting + valve in the bottom of the housing so I can drain it before unscrewing / dropping the filter housing? Any recommendations? Thanks

·
Water Treatment
1,087 Posts
I'm adding a large sediment filter to my system. Its in line now but now I realize the large blue filter housing that screws up into the top of the unit holds lot of water which I have to deal with when I drop it down to change a filter. I didn't even ask if they sold a housing with a drain valve. Wondering if I can add a very small bulkhead style fitting + valve in the bottom of the housing so I can drain it before unscrewing / dropping the filter housing? Any recommendations? Thanks
There is a sump that is like the one that you have and it has a drain at the bottom, it is used for a bag filter set up..
Down side is that I have seen far to many asking for a replacement because the sump with the drain gets dropped and the drain gets broke.. and the sump gets broken along with the drain..

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Akpsdvan - murphy's law - that might be an issue I didn't think of. Still not looking forward to wrestling with the full unit in the crawlspace though. Maybe a chunk of styrofoam or something, underneath the unit, in case it gets dropped would help? Just thinking out loud.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts