DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Want to install a security door (36x80) but the box stores only have doors with exterior frames that don't fit my opening. The stucco outside the wood frame has a relief to it so I can't screw into the stucco and the dimensions inside the stucco are smaller that any of the doors that I have found. Any suggestions?

·
retired framer
59,937 Posts
Hi
Want to install a security door (36x80) but the box stores only have doors with exterior frames that don't fit my opening. The stucco outside the wood frame has a relief to it so I can't screw into the stucco and the dimensions inside the stucco are smaller that any of the doors that I have found. Any suggestions?
What is inside behind the stucco, how wide is the hole in the rough framing or what have you?

·
retired framer
59,937 Posts
The opening is 37.5" x 81". Don't know exactly whats behind the stucco. Its standard stucco subdivison construction, so I assume wire and wood
How did you measure the opening in the framing or what ever with out knowing what you are measuring. Rough framing is the hole in the wall the door jam fits in. You remove the interior trim to measure that. It does sound like you are after a regular door. Out swing?

Can you take a picture of the outside so we can see the problem with the stucco?

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Most doors are uniform in size. Most likely, your opening was changed by stucco so you need to change the opening. Grinder with thin masonary wheel should give you a clean cut, even a straight cut with a guide stick that you can finish with caulk.
Doors have jambs, bucks and frames. Your wall may be wood frame, concrete formed/block, anything else? So you need to know how the opening was made, how your door is fastened, so right amount can be removed and right kind of fastening can be made.

Picture of your security door, existing door and the opening should help more. Security door also means different things. How much security can change how the door is installed. Regular door with a knob isn't that secure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies.
Walking around my neighborhood (same builder) I don't see anyone with security (screen) doors so I think I am screwed. The doors I have looked at require a 38.5" x 81.5" opening. In my picture you can see there is a relief to the stucco in the upper part of the wall around door-the stucco is not even surrounding the door. Unless they make a security screen door with smaller requirements that will allow me to screw it into the wood trim that is visible it doesn't look like it's going to happen. The standard doors that are available would require me to dig into the stucco over the top of the door. Not sure my skill set is good enough to make the finish job look decent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to install a metal screen security door outside of this existing door, I was hoping to screw it into the existing wood trim that you see in the picture but all the doors I have seen require a bigger opening. I was ok with securing it to the stucco with the proper bolts and but the stucco has a relief near the top of the door-it sticks out. So I can't just bolt it to the stucco without digging into that relief and I think patching it will look pretty bad. all the doors I have seen require 38.5x81.5 and I have 37.5x 80.5.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
There is still no photo. There's a forum rule about only after 5-6 posts? Try again.
Maybe you can trim the wood trim there is and make the opening wider? Does the door open in or out? Can the door be flipped and installed to open out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.