DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a quick question, I am looking on advice on how to secure the wires into, and out of my outlet boxes (I think code is that they must be secured within 12" of enter/exit of the gang box). I think this is traditionally done with the staples but I have superior walls in my basement and I'm not sure what would be the best way to secure these wires being that the studs are foam wrapped.

I'm sure you all are familiar with superior walls but I attached a picture just in case.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Use long screws that will penetrate the foam and get into the studs. You can get a collar that encircles the wire and that has a tab with hole for one screw to hold it onto the stud.

How are you going to anchor the outlet boxes?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use long screws that will penetrate the foam and get into the studs. You can get a collar that encircles the wire and that has a tab with hole for one screw to hold it onto the stud.

How are you going to anchor the outlet boxes?

self tapping screws into the galvanized steel lip.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
deleted.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
You will need romex or pushin connector to secure wire or wires to the boxes.
Totally agree. They way you have it is non-compliant and not safe.

As far as securing goes, use TapCons, or other concrete screws, to fasten tie-wraps with a mounting lug.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Reactions: tweak

·
Super Moderator
15,475 Posts
To make it easier to comply with fastening the cable within the 12" I would use the top or bottom knockouts, not the side one like shown.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts