DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, so hopefully I am following the proper etiquette. I am trying to install an automatic 3-way timer switch (Honeywell PLS750C) and had a question about what to do with an unused ground wire.

The area that I am working in is a 2 gang box with two separate 3-way switches (controlling different lights). Each switch is currently connected to two travellers, a common, and a ground wire. I want to replace one of the switches with the automatic timer. The timer is designed to be connected to the two travellers, the common wire, and a neutral wire (unused in the existing 3-way switch, but it exists tucked away). The timer is not meant to be connected to the ground wire, which currently is connected to the existing switch. What do I do with this unused ground wire? Is it safe to just leave it in the box unconnected to anything?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
:eek:

Lots of info to sift thru, which I didn't (at least not completely), but yes you can leave a ground unconnected if it's not needed.

EDIT: make sure to twist it to any other grounds in the box if there are any for continuity of ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. Sorry if it was too wordy. Basically I have an unused ground wire and didn't know what exactly to do with it. Just to make sure, I can connect the unused ground to the other ground in the box (which is being used as part of a 3-way switch)?

·
Registered
714 Posts
If I am reading your post correctly, what you call a common is actually a point wire, the 3rd wire on a 3-way on the identified screw, 2-travelers and a point wire. (AS FAR AS I KNOW this is not a local term, but I have been wrong before)

I mention this as many DIY'er ofter refer to the neutral as a common.

Not a major issue by simplifies discussions if we all use similar terms.

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
It depends on context. The white neutral wire is often called the common. But since the OP is talking about 3 way switches, and specifically said the white neutral wires were tucked away behind, the common terminal of a 3-way switch is a hot wire. It's the hot lead the 2 switches have in common. So in that context he's correct, there are 2 travelers and a common. The common is the black screw typically. I've never heard the term point wire.

http://waterheatertimer.org/images/3-way-circuit-500.jpg

·
125 Posts
I too have not heard that term associated with a 3-way. I know that if you look on a switch though that it is labeled "com" and it is the common terminal to the other 2 terminals on the switch.

Not to be contrary but I think the OP got this one right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.