DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on finishing a three season porch and have two "beams" that run across as part of the structure of the room. They are just 2 2x6 as one and just nailed in at the ends, as shown in the second photo. One even has a 1/4 space between the end of the "beam" and the framing, showing me they aren't really secure to the room. That being said, I want to hang a hammock or hanging chair of some sort when the room is finished. How can I secure it better to the wall? Can I use joist hangers and just notch out trim to cover them?
Plant Property Ceiling fan Window Wood
Brown Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Hardwood

·
retired framer
51,233 Posts
Are the 2x6 notched to sit on the wall?
Rectangle Tints and shades Font Peach Electric blue

·
Registered
328 Posts
How long are the beams? 2-2x6 makes a pretty weak beam; perhaps they are wall ties to keep the outer walls from spreading?

Reactions: Nealtw

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,161 Posts
Joist hangers will help, they even make them for dual beams.

What is the span of the area?
How much and where do you plan to add the load for the hammock.

There are many load charts available on line for helping to understand the minimum needs.

·
Registered
328 Posts
A doubled 2x6 beam of 13' span can carry about 275 lb. point load at its midspan. That is static load, not dynamic load. A hammock or hanging chair imparts dynamic loads, and also side loads on the beam. The doubled 2x6 beam would be inadequate. I would use a doubled 2x10 myself. Or a (2) 1-3/4 x 7.25 LVL, which is about 3.5x as strong as the 2-2x6.

Reactions: Nellspayne

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joist hangers will help, they even make them for dual beams.

What is the span of the area?
How much and where do you plan to add the load for the hammock.

There are many load charts available on line for helping to understand the minimum needs.
13' is the span, I figured hangers would help but hesitant with the motion of a hammock or swinging chair.
A doubled 2x6 beam of 13' span can carry about 275 lb. point load at its midspan. That is static load, not dynamic load. A hammock or hanging chair imparts dynamic loads, and also side loads on the beam. The doubled 2x6 beam would be inadequate. I would use a doubled 2x10 myself. Or a (2) 1-3/4 x 7.25 LVL, which is about 3.5x as strong as the 2-2x6.
thank you, this is helpful. I'll probably just do away with the idea of a hammock, not worth changing out the beams just for that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts