DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Im not sure where to post this so I stuck it here.

I'm looking to see how difficult it would be to build a small secret compartment that could be placed behind a false light switch (or something similar), but I want it to be unlocked remotely by an old keypad. One like the old telephones used to have.

I would enter the code and then the compartment would pop open.

Is this something I could buy or build or would this be very difficult?

Thanks,

-K

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Behind a light switch, that would be a very small secret compartment. And complicated, too.

Personally, I would go for a small safe or cash box with a digital lock. You mount it to the wall studs, cover it with a panel, picture, mirror or whatever.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
Such would need power and that itself will take up room. Not practical. And what if power goes out, battery dies, how to open? Explore the house. If open joists in basement, example, framing a house often has blocks in bays and a joist bay can be made to look like blocked but removeable block. I had one under the staircase, above the house beam, which are often left open but sometimes blocked. When I sold that house, block was removed and noone the wiser.
People usually think that security means locks and keys but a story goes that things hidden in open is better.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
That's interesting, and if you don't look too closely you may not realize it's fake. If you wanted to be real slick (and didn't need too much space to hide anything) you could use one of those shallow outlet boxes with a real receptacle (obviously not wired up).

·
In a little over my head
1,274 Posts
This AV panel covers a 3 gang box and wouldn't look out of place behind the sofa or TV stand:

This panel has a bunch of buttons on it:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
That's interesting, and if you don't look too closely you may not realize it's fake. If you wanted to be real slick (and didn't need too much space to hide anything) you could use one of those shallow outlet boxes with a real receptacle (obviously not wired up).
I should have mentioned, I wouldn't use the phony-looking outlet face that came with the fake box I linked to. I'd get a real switch or outlet with a face plate to match the rest of the room, and figure out a way to rig that up as the cover.

If you wanted even more realism, but didn't want to deal with 120 or 240VAC wires, there are remote smart switches which can be used with a smart home system. This way you'd have a working switch without mains power.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,226 Posts
Build a slanted shoe rack for the side/end of a closet floor. Put on a cleat to hold the shoe's heel, slope the top and raised it a little off the floor. If you us a magnetic latch you can simply lift the front of the shoe rack and put all sorts of stuff inside without the need for power, switches, etc.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You're going to have to be innovative to build what you want.

I think the keypad would be a give away. Why not mount a normally open, wide-gap magnetic contact behind your baseboard and use a rare earth magnet to trip it. You may want to brush up on basic electricity and electronics so you don't overload anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts