DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed Tarkett/Azrock VCT tiles over a leveled cement floor in a new basement bathroom. This tile was purchased in 2015 for a separate project I didn't use it on. From research there are recommendations to apply a sealer to VCT and recommendations that it is not necessary. I've cleaned the newly laid tile with ZEP neutral cleaner and was planning on next applying the ZEP sealer. BUT, I noticed while I was cleaning that the water on the tile is beading up, suggesting it is already sealed. See pictures attached. So now I'm wondering if I need to strip whatever manufacturer coating there is on the floor and seal it, or if I should just apply sealer as is, or skip the sealer and go to the ZEP polish/"wax" stage.

Concerns: while the tile may turn out to be already sealed by the factory, are the seams safe from water intrusion... it is a bathroom after all. Or will the polish protect the seams adequately?

IMG_4631.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would suggest you go on the manufactures website ( of the tile ) and see what info is available . If you have to follow up with a phone call , no one is going to know more than the manufacturer . I agree with your thought process on the seams vs water intrusion . Once you get the floor coated with several layers of sealer/polish you should be good for a very long time .

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Commercial VCT like used in a public school is intended to have floor finish as a wear layer, usually 4 coats when new. Most residential grade VCT is not made to be finished (waxed). It depends on what you have, check with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Old Thomas... this is a commercial product. Porsch, website is silent on use of a sealer. So, overall I think I'll just skip the sealer and go straight to polish.

Thanks for responding... any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Scrub it well and put on 4 coats of VCT floor finish. One of the best is Johnson’s (Diversey) Vectra, available at janitorial suppliers.

Reactions: KerryOn
1 - 6 of 6 Posts