DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved into a new home with granite counter tops. Do I need to seal the granite?

If so, what should I use and how often should I do it?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Some say "seal!," other say "don't seal!"...so who's right?

The fact is only a small minority of stones sold as 'granite' require sealing, the rest don't - and some yet again will give you problems if you seal them. The small minority I am referring to are sold as 'granite' by reputable delaers, you would know it if you had it, are in fact real granite! If on the other hand, you bought 'granite' from someone else, there's a big, big chance you don't have true 'granite' - you have someother stone (e.g. gabbro or basalt) that they sold to you as granite because they didn't know either...these stone don't need sealing.

So what do you do? Test first before you line someone else's pockets with money from another product you bought but don't need. Put a drop of water on the 'granite', wait 5-10 minutes, wipe it off. If you see a shadow of the droplet, seal it. with a quality impregnating sealer from a stone house, not a box store.

Otherwise keep your money and put it to better use...:yes:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Test it - if needed, then use Sealer's Choice Gold from Aqua Mix (a water based impregnating sealer). Google their web site for a stone dealer near you that handles the product.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts