DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This really seems like it should be easy and it probably is, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to handle. I have attached pics for reference. I have a rental that has a storage room under the porch. I bought it last year and it had been leaking through the porch slab and down into and through the walls for probably years. I was able to fix a gutter issue on the porch and also seal the porch so it now is no longer leaking.

As the pics show it is a very rough, pitted wall. It looks like there was some kind of paint or sealant put on the wall at some point that is now chipping in several places. Again, this is just a storage room, so putting a lot of work or money into it isn't ideal, but I really want to seal the walls properly just in case water does get through it won't ruin my tenants stuff.

I bought super thoroseal to put on the walls, but I'm pretty sure it won't adhere to the paint/sealant on the wall, but getting the stuff off the wall with it being so rough seems like it will be a nightmare. I'm just hoping someone has a suggestion that will successfully seal the wall without being overly time and cost consuming. Ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Is that poured concrete walls? Almost looks like blocks, but I don't see vertical mortar joints. Maybe just horizontal form lines.

Anyways, I think I see horizontal cracks in the walls, and water stains originating from the cracks. Repair would be from outside. Obviously not cheap. Just a cellar - consider just leaving it as is.

·
retired framer
42,720 Posts
There is nothing you can do to seal concrete from the inside against water coming from outside. Rooms like that should have a fresh air vent. If nothing else a vent in the door.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
easiest & cheapest ? everything on racks above floor,,, thoroseal's a good product & MUCH better than the apron/vest store's drylok stuff but you're asking it to do something for which its not designed,,, there's infiltrating water (vapor-liquid) causing delamination/coating falling off

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
easiest & cheapest ? everything on racks above floor,,, thoroseal's a good product & MUCH better than the apron/vest store's drylok stuff but you're asking it to do something for which its not designed,,, there's infiltrating water (vapor-liquid) causing delamination/coating falling off
Thanks for the answers and I agree and see it's just a band aid using the thoroseal. I'm just going to elevate the floor like you suggested and do my best to minimize any water coming into the room. As of now it's none, but the raised floor will alleviate that concern if some does come in. Thanks again

·
retired framer
42,720 Posts
Thanks for the answers and I agree and see it's just a band aid using the thoroseal. I'm just going to elevate the floor like you suggested and do my best to minimize any water coming into the room. As of now it's none, but the raised floor will alleviate that concern if some does come in. Thanks again
So once you have built a beach shack, where will that water go. What ever you build now will just add to the total cost of removal when you have to do mold remediation..

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
hy skoul fizix = wet runs to dry,,, you MAY be able to control vapor/mold by using a dehumidifier,,, no matter what, its not an expensive repair however its is VERY labor intensive & involves lots of digging

1 - 7 of 7 Posts