DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old storm door that I will be replacing in maybe 18 months and don't want to spend a lot of money on finding a screen frame that will fit it in the meantime.

This is going to be a "good enough for now" kind of thing. I found this screen frame replacement kit on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Make-2-Fit-P...741327&sprefix=storm+door+scr,aps,247&sr=8-52

The storm door opening that I want to place a screen frame into is about 27"x29". The previous owner was a "use what I have laying around the house" kind of guy so the frame in there now seems to be from a glass frame for a storm door, meaning it does not have the grove so I can use my screen replacement kit (does not have the groove to seat the rubber spline in it with my tool). Believe it or not he used rivets to secure the screen to the frame. The screen has ripped enough now for my cat to get out.

I can replace a screen in a frame with what I have (screen, spline and tool) but like I said this frame that is in there now does not have the groove in it.

Will the above link give me what I need to make my own frame? If not can someone please provide a link for the proper screen frame that I should get. I would prefer a link from Amazon instead of anywhere else as I am sure I will end up having to pay for shipping then. This replacement I would think that I have to cut the frame sections (with a hacksaw) to size for each of the four sections?

Also the sizing in the screen frame listing title confuses me. The thickness seems to need to be 5/16" to fit in the door properly and be anchored by the screen clips.

I also included a picture of the present clips that are in it - missing most of them but the holes are there and the machine screw in the picture fits the holes I just don't know which clips to order from Amazon Here.

Assistance would be appreciated in providing a link to both the screen frame replacement kit and the proper clips to purchase on Amazon.

Thanks for your help!

Screen frame clip picture

Attachments

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I thought the link you provided showed pretty clear pictures and videos of what is provided. If it will fit your door, or what clips you need, is not something I can answer. If you want to check the exact measurements of the aluminum profile of the kit, go to a local hardware store and buy one off the shelf rather than buy online.

Does your current screen/frame currently fit, other than the screen is ripped ?
Maybe post a photo of your existing screen -- the screen must be replaceable somehow.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Have you ever re-screened?
Go to HD or Lowe's and buy what you need, you won't have shipping damages, you will be able to return - but you will need to know what you need to buy.
In fact, a corner hardware like ACE might be able to make one for you, if you run into some difficulties.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
The link frames should work. Better if hardware stores since you can buy the screens too. Trick is making the screen tight enough but not too tight. Too tight, the frames can bend. Lightly tap the cord into the groove then seat it with the cord tool. It may help to have a brace (any stick the same length as the shorter sides) or make a screen with the brace.

Instead of looking for original clips, look for z type clips that hold the screen and screws into the door. As such, best if physical store. You can compare the frame thickness as well as clips that'll hold the screen.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SPS-1

Does your current screen/frame currently fit, other than the screen is ripped ?
Maybe post a photo of your existing screen -- the screen must be replaceable somehow.
Yes the current frame fits in the storm door but like I said in my post it lacks the grove for a spline to secure the screen material to which indicates to me the previous owner used an insert which was more than likely a glass insert at one time. Then he used pop rivets to secure the screen to the frame once the glass was removed at a later time.

If you want to check the exact measurements of the aluminum profile of the kit, go to a local hardware store and buy one off the shelf rather than buy online.
My local hardware store is a small mom and pop store (they are great people otherwise) but they don't stock them and the charge is like $43 plus to special order one. I live out in the boon-docks and HDepot or Lowes is at least 28 miles in one direction - also don't want to be in store with so many people so I figured I would order online.

dj3
Have you ever re-screened?
Yes I have multiple times and in my post I mention I have the screen material, spline and the seating tool for the spline. Except the existing frame does not have the grove for the spline so no way to seat the spline into the frame. Previous owner used pop-rivets to secure the screen to the frame.

carpdad
Instead of looking for original clips, look for z type clips
What are z type clips? Can you give me a link to one that will show me what they look like please.

Thanks everyone :smile:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I purchased and installed the screen frame I posted the link to in my post #1.

It worked out well. Just took patience.

Unfortunately the clips I ordered did not work well. The screws were too large. Lucky I was able to remove the existing clips and reuse them to some degree. The Phillips head on the screws were basically stripped.

The overall turnout was very good. Screen is tight but not too tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.